skyfrog

Well Known Member
I just picked up a Static Air Test kit from Omni Air, Inc. at the local flea market. It appears to be functional but hasn't been calibrated since 1990.

Do you think it's a useful find?

Get it calibrated and you'll find it extremely usefull! Without having it calibrated it might end up being almost useless. We use ours all the time....and just had to replace the altimeter portion of it due to a wee little case leak in the instrument....which made pitot/static checks worthless!

For example, you can hook it up to your EFIS and make your airplane "fly" through the air, climb/descent, etc.. You can do the same to your Autopilot for testing, transponder and more. BUT - get it calibrated to make sure it's good. Calibration could be as low as $150, all the way to $500 or more if it needs work or guts replaced. We just had our Mode S transponder box re-calibrated and it was less than $500...but we have to do that every year to keep ole' Mr.FAA happy! If you're going to bumb around and use if for personal stuff, I'd have it calibrated initially, and then see how it goes from there.

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks

I appreciate the information, but where does one get it calibrated. Is this something any avionics shop can do?