Jim Wright

Well Known Member
Taxied in and shut down this afternoon and discovered a low nose wheel tire. By the time I pushed the 8-A into the hangar it was flat. Ok...about 250 hours on the Vans tire, haven't pulled the tire yet but am wondering if I could/should replace the nose tire with a 6 ply or maybe even going to a 6 inch wheel and tire. Will it fit in the nose pant? I am in CG near the forward limit but it takes a lot of weight on the hoirizontal stabelizer to lift the nose gear off of the ground....not like a Cessna.
Would really appreciate your comments.
Many thanks.
J Wright

Jim,

Lots of stuff written in these forums about nose tires and their desire to go flat!

I'd be willing to bet that there will be a small pin hole in the sidewall of the inner tube. If so, that is the classic problem that seems to be caused by chafing of some sort as the tire flexes. Use LOTS of talc, keep pressure high (like 35 or 40), and you'll probably not have another problem. Of course, maybe you actually have a nail or something, but I suspect not.

Good luck, and search the archives for nose wheel tire flat and you'll be busy a while.

Don't do it!

I put down a plywoog base under the forward fuselage, stack 2X4s log cabin style on top of it, add a another plywood base on top of the stack, add a suitable jack ot top of that, add a padded wood support on top of that across the entire width of the fwd fuse and jack up the nose.

Bob Axsom

My last nose wheel flat was exactly as Alex mentioned. Looked like it was getting flat when I stopped at the hangar and totally flat once I got it inside.

Most likely factor was that the tire looked lowish (but OK...bet I was wrong) before I started the flight.

No more. Will keep the pressure high. Made a cutout to check the pressure/fill it without removing the wheel pant and bought a straight tire inflator/gauge from Mr Farek.

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks guys,
Sounds like my problem. Had the nose tire at about 35 psi as specified. That's too low.
What about a 6 inch wheel and tire...will it fit in the wheel pant?
Jim

Jim

Isn't it a 11/400-5 type tire? Why jump from that to a 600-6 size tire? Try the higher tire pressure first and don't let it get low like I did before my last flat.

Last edited:
Nose tire

Forgot to mention, the new Aero Classic is an 8 ply design (the old one was 6 ply) and has a stiffer sidewall for less flex. I usually replace the nose wheel tire and tube every "annual"... cheap insurance (about $40). And of course always replace the tube when you replace a tire.

Here's the spec from Desser:
11/400-5 8 ply, 500 lb load, Rib New Version, Aircraft Design, Deep 2 Rib

Hi Walt,
Thanks for the advice. Vans only have their own stock tire. Sounds like this is a stiffer sturdier tire. Will order one this AM.
Many thanks,
Jim

I put in 45 psi or so once and it felt like a bouncy ballon under my nose on rollout. I like around 30.. but I guess everybody is different.

Small pin hole on the side wall is exactly what I had and since I have keep the tire pressure higher, it has not happened since [yet].
I got my replacement tire from desser tire and it was a retread. I like them much more then original Vans.

Thanks guys,
Sounds like my problem. Had the nose tire at about 35 psi as specified. That's too low.
Jim

Jim, I think copious amounts of baby powder is the main key, not just pressure. The tube should be completely dusted with it and rubbed around. Then toss in a bunch more shakes into the tire.

X

Thanks for all of your replies.
I ordered a tire and tube from Dresser as well as Vans. The Dresser tire and tube came in yesterday. Cleaned up the rims talcum powdered the tire and tube, installed and mounted.
Looks like a much stronger tire, solid sidewlls and raised the nose wheel by an inch or more. Also noted that the tube was butyl, made in Tiwan....we'll see how it does. Not being the builder I am learing many things....like the bearings have molded seals and require specified torque settings for the axel bolt. Ahhhh well.. this is a neat airplane... wouldn't trade it for any certified aircraft.
Jim

Mr

Thanks guys,
You were right...a pin hole in the tube. Taking your advice I ordered a Dresser Tire with the HD sidewalls. A new tube made with butyl rubber also from Dresser. Talcum power (Walmart) and put it all together. Aired it up to 40 psi and it stood tall and proud. Just waiting for WX to pick up and go flying...
Thanks again,
Jim