MSFT-1

Well Known Member
Got a flat tire (nose wheel) on my RV-10. Apparently ran over some sort of debris on the taxi way since it went flat AFTER about a 3/4 mile taxi out to the run up ramp.

No damage other than scaping the bottom of the wheelpant.

Happened at my home airport. The maintenance guys came out in about ten minutes and my bird was back in the hanger within 30 minutes.

Have not gotten the tire and tube off so I can't say for sure what failed. I ordered a new tire and tube from Spruce just in case.

Of all the possible flat tire scenarios, this is clearly the best one (short of not having one) that I can envision.

Along those lines...

...I accompanied a student pilot on a cross-country two weeks ago and he landed very hard in the Cirrus 20 on arrival in N.C.

We immediately gassed up and when he went to taxi to tie down, the left main was flat and the valve stem had torn about half the way around, from the tube.

Can a hard landing in a heavy airplane, like the Cirrus, shift the tire on the rim enough to shear the valve stem?

Thanks,

Tubes/tires shifting is a potential hazard in any vehicle (regardless of weight) that uses the tube/tire combo and the tube is under-inflated. In the dirt bike world folks employ rim locks to keep the tube in-place when they purposely under-inflate for riding in deep sand.

Bruce, from personal experience, I have a spare main and nose tire and tube with me at all times.