rwarre

Well Known Member
After flying for about 30 hours, my nose wheel tire went flat. Any advice on changing the front tire. What procedure is used to get the front wheel off the ground? Thanks

Search the archives for

nose tire flat

and you'll be busy a while. Lots and lots of good stuff in there. Information about how to change it plus how to prevent/minimize getting nose wheel flats.

Tail Weight

Randy:
Buy a 5 gal bucket, a long shank eye-bolt, nut, washer and a bag of redi-mix at Home Depot. Fill the bucket to the top with the mix, suspend the bolt assembly by running a mop handle thru while the cement dries. The nut and washer at the end of the shank will prevent the bolt from pulling out (they may be overkill). Oh yeah, you'll need an "S" hook to clip on to your tail tie-down. The weight for my 9A (FP prop) is just about perfect.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Last edited by a moderator:
Engine Hoise

I use an engine hoist on the engine mount to get the nose gear off the ground.

Jason

I get my nose up one of two ways:

Just outside of my hangar there are three tie-down rings anchored into the ground. If I just need to do something quickly I'll roll it out there, put a ratcheting strap on the tail tiedown and the achor and lift it that way. It's very quick and works well. Usually I will take a stack of 2x4s and put them under the nut when I do this...just in case.

Another method I sometimes use -- I have a little mini automotive-style floor jack that I found at my local Wally-world aviation supply. It is small enough that it will slide under the nut in front, even with a flat tire. I just roll it under the big castle nut and jack it up. It's still possible to even adjust the break-out force with the nosewheel on the jack.

Take the nose wheel pant off. Have someone push the tail down so you can put a 4x4 under the big axle nut . The nose wheel fork will be high enough to remove the wheel.
Works for my 6A. Not shure about the 10

Last edited:
I use a small cheap automotive hydrolic trolly jack (typically under $30.00). The cup fits nicely under the bottom of the large nut that holds the yoke onto the leg and there is plenty of clearance to get the tire on and off.

Yep, it works on a -10 too

Take the nose wheel pant off. Have someone push the tail down so you can put a 4x4 under the big axle nut . The nose wheel fork will be high enough to remove the wheel.
Works for my 6A. Not shure about the 10

I had to do that a coupla days ago..

Best,

Working alone, it takes me about 45 seconds to raise and hold the nosewheel off the ground. That is the time it takes me to walk over and retrieve three or four 25# shot bags, placing them around the empennage fairing. The Orndorf removable tie-down ring makes contact with the concrete keeping the airframe safely clear of the floor.

xekna.jpg

Last edited: