turbo

Well Known Member
dsc00530s.jpg

dsc00531.jpg

dsc00533.jpg

landed yesterday with a stiff x-wind and ended up with a front flat. i think the tire pressure was low which caused the tire to loose its bead and rip a 1 inch hole in the tube. we fitted a 500 tube to get home but the valve stem was too long. a call to a local rver eddy fernandez came up with the correct tube from dale at north perry. thanks guys for your help. turbo. PS $175 to tow 1/4 mile.:eek:

I got a flat on my nose as well. I ended up going real slow to the hangar with no air. didn't hurt the wheel at all. I ordered a new tire 6 ply and new tube, I could have reused the tire, but I wanted better. I think I was about 55 for the fix. I would have just taxied over to the HBO, go walking speed and you will be ok. Of course I removed the wheel pant before doing this. I carry a spare tube and a short crosspoint screw driver. I remember the tower asking if I needed a tow, I said no way.

When I tore down the tire I found the stem come right out of the tube. I now have the 6ply, gotten from Desser and filled the tire to 50lbs. I hope to not repeat this again. I might just go for a new tube for my annuals from now on.

Flat tire at FXE

I wish you would have called sooner. I would have only charged $174.50! I keep a spare main and nose tube in the plane because the same thing happened to me. I'm glad it all worked out.

WHAT!!!!?!?!?! $175 to tow an RV??? This is absolute insanity! What is wrong with aviation and airport businesses these days? This is just completely unacceptable in my opinion. If they told me it was going to be $175 to tow my plane, I'd probably punch someone in the mouth. :D

I'm glad you got your tire fixed and that there wasn't any substantial damage to the airplane.

$175 For A 1/4 Mile Tow?????????

I agree, That's the most obscene thing I've heard of in a long, long time!! I'd have told him to "stick it where the sun don't shine" and reported him to the local BBB.

We need to know who this jerk is so the RV community (and the general aviation community in general) can avoid him at all cost!?

Tommy Walker
RV-6A, N 350 TW
487 Hrs & "Climbing"!

landed yesterday with a stiff x-wind and ended up with a front flat. i think the tire pressure was low which caused the tire to loose its bead and rip a 1 inch hole in the tube. we fitted a 500 tube to get home but the valve stem was too long. a call to a local rver eddy fernandez came up with the correct tube from dale at north perry. thanks guys for your help. turbo. PS $175 to tow 1/4 mile.:eek:
I had the same issue a few years ago at my local airport KBKV where I rented a hangar from the FBO.
I gave the kid that towed me back a $20 tip.
The next month, I was billed by the FBO $100.

WOW THATS CRAZY! I WORK FOR A MAJOR INTERNATIONAL AIRLINE AT LAX, WE GET CHARGED ABOUT (FROM WHAT IVE HEARD) ABOUT 100 BUCKS FOR AN AIRBUS 320. OF COURSE ITS JUST A PUSH BACK BUT STILL $175 FOR 1/4MILE!

That does it... I will have a spare tube and tire, front and main in the baggage area from now on. Rape is out there!!

H-M-M-M

When ever I have a problem and need help I am very reserved and pay whatever is asked as long as I can assure that my airplane is removed from the vulnerable state to a situation where I can correct the problem and move on. Some times the other guy has to win and I have to cut my losses. Actually, the only place where I have experienced any marginal treatment was at St. Augustine, Florida.

Bob Axsom

Ed,

Wow, $175 just for the tow. What will you pay me to use my hanger next summer?
I always keep a can of Fix-A-Flat in the plane.... On the Alaska trip, I'll carry a front wheel & main wheel spare tube, AND a couple of cans of Fix-A-Flat...
By the way, my Alaska trip is 6/14/10 - ??? So if you need a hanger at 7B6 this summer, see me.....

[landed yesterday with a stiff x-wind and ended up with a front flat. i think the tire pressure was low which caused the tire to loose its bead and rip a 1 inch hole in the tube. we fitted a 500 tube to get home but the valve stem was too long. a call to a local rver eddy fernandez came up with the correct tube from dale at north perry. thanks guys for your help. turbo. PS $175 to tow 1/4 mile.:eek: