N42AH

Well Known Member
Today after a 2.5 hr flight from Pinehurst (KSOP) to Atlanta (20GA) I landed and my nose wheel was flat. After lots of help to get it back to the hangar, I discovered a very small slit (1/16 in) in the side wall of the tube. I had to inflate the tube and submerge it in water to find the hole.

I have been searching the site for tire and tube recommendations. My thinking is the Airstop tube and a Desser re-tread.

What say you all and where did you purchase your tires and tubes.

No alternatives...I hope I'm wrong...

You have exactly one choice for tube, unless someone is now producing them in the last year. There is also no alternative to the tire either. With all the A model Van's flying, one would hope that one of the name brands would pick up the size.

The slit you described is the classic failure. I had two or three in the first few years, none since. I did two things, and I'm not sure if one or the other or both did the trick. First, keep air pressure up at 30 or more. Second, completely coat the inside of the tire with baby powder. Also, cover the outside of the tube. It seems as though the tube progressively stretches more and more with the tire's flexing, unable to "relax" between cycles. This is perhaps why the higher pressure and baby powder work.

Van's. I always have two tubes on hand - one in the plane and another at the hangar.

You can probably buy them at other suppliers, but they still won't be name brands, probably the same as the ones Van's sells. It wouldn't hurt to search, it has been about a year since I last checked.

I would suspect if you are in a jam, someone nearby has one until your replacement arrives.

I just replaced all three tires and tubes on my C-152. The tires were going bald and they were loosing air needing fill about once a week. I originally leaned towards the "Monster" retreads by Desser (FREE SHIPPING) but they were out of my size at the time I called so I ordered the Airhawks from them. A couple weeks later I was at my AP's shop and he had a set of the Monsters to put on a plane in for annual. I took a look at them They looked horrible! Glad I went with Airhawks. A lot less tread depth but my landings are good enough now that they should last as long as I own the plane. I had them send what I think they call the Airstopper tubes. Aviation Consumer rates the Monsters as a best buy, but I am still happy I went with the Airhawks which are rated very high also. I wonder about age of the rubber on the tubes. The Cozy MKIV I built recently had a flat on a main and had less than 65 hours on it. I purchased the tires and tubes 7 years before they were put in service. The tube that went flat looked like it had been slit by a razor knife a hunred times it had so many cracks in it. We figure it was defective from the factory or deteriorated with age. And yes, it was installed and mounted correctly using talc powder.

Because of the tube is not something commonly available at an FBO parts counter, the finish kit from van's has typically contained two nose wheel tubes so that you have a spare to carry. If you built the plane, check around in your shop. You may still have another tube.

After posting I noticed in your signature you are the third owner so disregard the above...
When you do get a replacement, get at least two so you have a spare to carry.

Last edited:
Flat nose tire

I discovered the "keep a spare nose tire tube" the hard way as well. I was giving hops around the pattern to a bunch of school kids on Thursday, and on the very last flight of the day (landing #20 of the day!) I had a flat on taxi back to the ramp. (afterwards, I wished it had happened after about #5, as I was totally exhausted.)

Unfortunately this occurred at 4:45pm, away from home base, and no FBO on the field had that size of tube.

Lessons learned the hard way.

Troy

I did two things, and I'm not sure if one or the other or both did the trick. First, keep air pressure up at 30 or more. Second, completely coat the inside of the tire with baby powder. Also, cover the outside of the tube. It seems as though the tube progressively stretches more and more with the tire's flexing, unable to "relax" between cycles. This is perhaps why the higher pressure and baby powder work.

I would add a third. Keep the nose off the ground on landing. My nose tire looks brand new after 350+ hours. I hold the nose up almost until I am turning off the runway (down to 25 kt). Plenty of control power with the tail to do so. This will help as well on another popular RV nose wheel issue.

I had the nose wheel go flat turning off the runway after a 'school book' landing... Lucky I had a spare tube onboard...and the help of RV'ers at Cottonwood... Same tube problem.. carry a spare for sure..!
Sheldon

You have exactly one choice for tube, unless someone is now producing them in the last year. There is also no alternative to the tire either. With all the A model Van's flying, one would hope that one of the name brands would pick up the size.

Hey Alex - in another thread someone is talking about buying a tube from Desser for $10.95. The part number is TU 11/400-5. In the picture, the 90 degree valve stem looks like it comes from the center of the tube.

Maybe this is an alternative to the Chinese tube? (or maybe it is the chinese tube).

They also have an $40 Aero Classic tire part number 11/400-5 8 PR. The description says:
11/400-5 8 PLY AERO CLASSIC (NEW VERSION) New 2008 Design! 2 Groove, Wide Rib. Designed For Aircraft Loads and Speeds

I'm planning on the Grove nosewheel, and will ask them if this tire / tube will work.

Last edited:
Tube Issues

Hi All,

First, DON'T USE BABY POWDER in a tire. Over a period of time, it turns into small "Rocks" inside the tire, that perforate the tube. Use "Tire talc" instead,and use it sparingly.....
Second, I've used the new "Leak Guard" tubes available from Desser on my RV-7A with missed results. They lasted through 1.5 Tire changes (one set if tires, were replaces, 1/5 of the new tire worn, tubes not changed in between)before failing with what appeared to be small slices in the sidwalls. There was nothing inside the tire in the area of the tube failures. The "Leak Guard" tubes are great because you don't have to put air in them every month or so like the old style "Aero Classic" tubes. But not if they are going to fail..
By the way, I NEVER replaced a tube when I change worn out tires. in the past, when using "Aero Classic" tubes, I NEVER had a flat. One plane had 2008 hours on it with the same tubes....
Third, not knowing what the present tube technology has to offer (I don't know if design changes have been done to the tubes I currently buy) I now carry a can of "Fix-A-Flat" in the plane all the time. This will be augmented with a spare nose & main wheel tube, and a 12VDC (2lbs) air compressor in the baggage compartment during a planned trip to Alaska in June.
The recent "Leak Guard" tube Failures occured while in remote locations that required extrodinary effort to fix in the field. They were both replaced with "Aero Classic" tubes......

found a place.........

in coco beach FL area which had better prices than desser. you can search my posts to find it. i will use them and keep spare tubes in the plane and plenty of air in the tires. turbo:D ps www.skytreads.com looked it up for you. $33 each

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me.

I got leak guard tubes from Desser, and one went flat. Lots of little craters. One opened up in to a slit. and caused the flat. I sent it in to Desser and they gave me a new tube. They said it didn't look right, but hadn't seen it happen before.

Steve The Builders Coach

I've replace the mains a couple of times due to wear

I've replace the mains a couple of times due to wear but the nose wheel tire has never been off of the airplane since I completed it in 2004. I'm lucky I guess. I do hold the nose off as long as possible because of its known tenderness but the conditions described in the failures sound like defects.

Bob Axsom