the_other_dougreeves

Well Known Member
DR posted this and I wanted to offer comments and thought that others might like to chime in. First off, here's what Doug was thinking of:

N617ARNewPanel.jpg

Overall, I like it - the AFS screens are large and display a lot of data. The large moving map is REALLY a great feature. My suggestions:

* Maybe move the autopilot to where you can engage it with either hand. If you're flying with the left hand and want to engage the AP, it's a long reach with the right hand, or you swap hands on the stick. When we went from 1-axis to 2-axis, we moved the AP towards the center of the panel, and it's easier to engage now.
* Maybe put the DA10 in between the two AFS displays? Allows for easier cross-checking, easier to see if things go wrong with the AFS. Maybe put the AP below the Dynon? That would put the radios a bit to the right side.
* Maybe move the SL30 above the audio panel? Yes, I know everyone puts the audio panel on top of the stack, but for a single radio install, you won't be using it very often, but you'll be fiddling with the SL30 a lot, particularly during IFR.

TODR

Well, TODR, you beat me to it. I was going to put up something like this.

Seems only fair to "pick on" DR for a bit:rolleyes:

My 2 cents.....

You have a couple of functions duplicated there, Garmin X96, and AFS mapping. Unless you already have the Garmin, why spend the $$$. Weather capability??

Same comment for the little engine monitor (Dynon?) on the far right.

I agree about having the A/P more centered.

This panel is definitely set up for left seat pilot.

What about the Zaon or whatever it is anticollision thing??

Good luck, I suspect there will be a LOT of input here:D

No input

Not input here, but I like where this is going!
I do like above suggestions though.
I, like Doug, have a Hybrid panel now and hesitate doing much more changing
without a total remake.
If there can be some concensus, Doug could create a STANDARD glass panel
that I could copy!
Keep at it!
Thanks

I would make sure that you get at least the DF IIVSGV so you can take advantage of AF's future plans to support their version of vertical and lateral gps steering/transformation from the EFIS by doing the magic inside to convert the VOR/LOC/GS info to GPSS AND GPSV commands. Will make coupled ILS approaches possible.

Would at a minimum still install a backup ALT, AS, and TT ADI negating the need for the Dynon.

Surprised to not see a certified GPS of some sort. I know you can get cleared direct with a panel mount VFR gps but not sure about that with just the portable. Sure will be a ton of GPS based approaches out there soon so a full blown approach certified WAAS model will be really nice in a couple years.

Go after finishing that instrument rating!​

Last edited:
Fancy

It appears that you have redundancy for navigation and for keeping yourself upright. I'm not all that familair with this new fangled EFIS stuff so maybe it's already in there, but what about redundancy for communications? Is there more than one comm? When flying IFR, I would definitely want a backup for talking to ATC.

Also, with all this new stuff that runs on electricity, I'd like a few mechanical backups for flying in clouds such as a standby Artificial Horizon. I don't think a battery backup will help you much if moisture shorts out your electrical system.

Otherwise this looks cool enough to shoot a low approach into O'Hare on a stormy day.

Keep dreaming.

Chris

DR posted this and I wanted to offer comments and thought that others might like to chime in. ...snip

TODR

I don't trust anyone named Doug Reeves, let alone take advice from one ;). Kidding...

I suspect the final panel layout will change a LOT - this first stab was a ten minute play in Photoshop thing.

b,

FOTODR (friend of the other doug reeves)

Last edited:
I don't think a battery backup will help you much if moisture shorts out your electrical system.

Just so you know, on a Dynon EFIS, you can short the + input pin to ground and it will still happily run of the internal backup battery. A well designed backup system doesn't make any assumptions about the external power pins.

snip...When flying IFR, I would definitely want a backup for talking to ATC.

Fully charged handheld in flight bag with headphone connectors already in place.

I don't think a battery backup will help you much if moisture shorts out your electrical system.

The EFIS's have internal backup batteries. That Dynon, for ex, runs fine out of the box with no electrical input at all. Pretty amazing stuff...running around the house pretending to be an airplane <g>.

Just so you know, on a Dynon EFIS, you can short the + input pin to ground and it will still happily run of the internal backup battery. A well designed backup system doesn't make any assumptions about the external power pins.
I had a lot of fun at a fly-in where Dynon came and presented some new goodies to us (The D100 / D120 / D180 were just out, and the HS34 was about to be announced). We were playing catch with a D10A, which was happily operating on the internal battery. Horizon and heading worked well, although with a slight lag on the heading (~ 1 sec for a 180).

TODR

...When flying IFR, I would definitely want a backup for talking to ATC...

Fully charged handheld in flight bag with headphone connectors already in place...
To anyone that is counting on emergency communications with a portable radio I would highly recommend trying it first outside the heat of battle.

It can work reasonably well if the handheld is plugged into a decent external antenna. With the supplied rubber ducky antenna (technical ham radio term) it is truly amazing how poorly these radios perform. Around a mile of range would be typical in my experience. Not too useful for talking to center.

I have a simple 1/4 wave wire antenna in a wingtip connected to a BNC bulkhead connector on the panel, and it is a great improvement over a helical antenna in the cockpit but it does mean you have to keep track of yet more parts (the patch cable).

Last edited:
Oh...This will be a long thread!

OK Krash,

Before you fall in love with the pretty picture, better get the dimensions right! I noticed, for instance, a lack of switches - you'll need a couple inches in a row for those.

Backup Comm? I agree with Larry, and my opinion is based on experience. I've had a couple handhelds over the years, and they have died through neglect in the flight bag. You'd have to have an iron constitution to ALWAYS keep it charged (or with fresh batteries) so that on the few occasions that you file, it will be ready. An A-200 is pretty cheap compared to the rest of the panel, and since you already have an audio panel - why not?

The D10A is a great backup - but that far over on the right it is going to be a bear to use in instrument conditions - I'd put it far left, right in front of those rapidly aging eyes (trust me, I'm ahead of you on this!)

All offered for your consideration,;)

Iron

frontrunner_small.jpg

Doug,

Did you win the lottery or ?

Why the D180 on the right? Are you doubling up all the engine sensors? If not, no reason to go with the 180, the Efis only model would be less expensive.

On the topic of NAV redundancy and approach ability from both sides:
If you are going to connect that Dynon to the 430s, you need to add the HS34 ARINC 429 interface that panel mounts. Don't think you will be able to connect both of the 430's to the Dynon at the same time due to the fact that the HS34 does not have enough inputs for two of them. I suppose you could install a switch to pick which one you wanted as a source. You will also have to have a switch to decide which EFIS system is transmitting to the 430's over ARINC either the AFS side or the Dynon side.

Not sure about the new Advanced Deck, does it come with ARINC as standard? If not I assume you will need either two ARINC adaptors or a switch on the AFS side of things as well to pick which 430 to use as a source.

Man with all these options for redundancy, you will need to really ensure that you know what source your following! Like Stein told me, there is a such thing as too many needles on the EFIS!

Since your going all out, get rid of those breakers and do one of them fancy VP units.

Sure looks like a cool panel though!

Send me a PM and let me in on the secret to how to print money!:D

Last edited:
The D10A is a great backup - but that far over on the right it is going to be a bear to use in instrument conditions - I'd put it far left, right in front of those rapidly aging eyes (trust me, I'm ahead of you on this!)
Ditto for me.

Swap the AP and the D10A. You can always reach over and engage the AP with your right and but looking that far left in a high stress situation will not be so good.

BTW, there is a local -8 with duel Cheltons and a D10A as backup. He was flying in the clouds and got hit by lightening. The only thing that continued to work on his plane was the D10A.