I used one similar to that which cost me around $200, plus a bender that was almost $100. After I made all my aluminum tubes, I ripped them out and installed Bonaco stainless braided teflon hoses for everything. I like them MUCH better than the aluminum. For what it's worth, you might consider this option. The money you'll save on the tools, almost offsets the cost of the hoses from Bonaco, and you'll save several hours of frustration. Do a search on Bonaco and see what comes up.

I agree with Craig, however..

I needed the flair and bending capabilities for the Vans(AFP)fuel injection assembly. I also gave up on the AL tubing and turned to Bonaco for fuel and brake lines. Good experience.

If you go this way maybe you can borrow the flair and bending tools

David

Way way less than $500 bucks.

Will this one do the trick or do I need to spend $500 bucks (ouch!)?

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/d...&ReturnPage=/shop/search_result.aspx?PageNo=1

We sell a lot of Rigid Flaring tools as seen on this page, they work very well for both Aluminum and Stainless Steel tubing.

see
http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/tube_and_hose_tools.pdf

Please read the Helpful Hints for using the Tool we also have the benders in different size ranges. These should be helpful for your hard line issues.

I will also post in Tools Forum for an easier reference for future Tubing Tool Seekers.

That flaring tool looks to be very good for SS.

I have done a fair amount of SS tube bending over the years in 1/4 to 1/2" and have found the best benders by far are those made by Swagelok. They are expensive but there are none better, the Parker hand ones are close but still not in the same league as Swagelok. The Parker bench benders are sweet but Oh My God are they expensive.

All my flaring experience comes from automotive and is not applicable to the 37 deg flares. In my current ndustry Swagelok rules and does not require flaring. I do not believe that Swagelok's bite type fitting is approved for Aircraft as I think it is more effect by vibration than the 37 deg fitting. That tool that GAHco showed looks to be excellent.

Bob Parry

Don't buy that $89 two piece unit from ATS. Avery has the Parker Rolo-Flair tools for $99 and they can't be beat for aircraft work...at least our GA Sport planes. If we were doing fittings for a CF6 or JT9 that would be different, but the Parker tools are kind of the de-facto units that are about the best out there for what we are using as homebuilders. They are a high quality tool and relatively inexpensive.

http://www.averytools.com/p-128-parker-37-rolo-flair-flaring-tool.aspx

It's SO handy to have a single unit that does most all of the tubing you'll use in an RV. The two piece systems are somewhat kludgy to use compared to the Parker Tools...

Anyway, IMHO it's the tool to use!

My 2 cents as usual,
Stein

Rolo Flair is Handy

Don't buy that $89 two piece unit from ATS. Avery has the Parker Rolo-Flair tools for $99 and they can't be beat for aircraft work...at least our GA Sport planes. If we were doing fittings for a CF6 or JT9 that would be different, but the Parker tools are kind of the de-facto units that are about the best out there for what we are using as homebuilders. They are a high quality tool and relatively inexpensive.

http://www.averytools.com/p-128-parker-37-rolo-flair-flaring-tool.aspx

It's SO handy to have a single unit that does most all of the tubing you'll use in an RV. The two piece systems are somewhat kludgy to use compared to the Parker Tools...

Anyway, IMHO it's the tool to use!

My 2 cents as usual,
Stein

Good call, the Rolo Flair is handy and is constructed as a single unit.

I would not deter one from using one of these tools, they are worth the money.

I have used both the Rolo Flair and the Rigid in Aircraft maintenance.
Both of them work more than satisfactory for the aluminum tubing. They both have their advantages and in some instance one will fit where the other will not.

My experience has been that the Rolo Flare is quick and convenient but without a little grease on the nose, can gall the inner cone of the flare.

As with all tools that we use for fluid plumbing we should keep them clean and well oiled.

My purpose of my initial post is to broaden the spectrum of choice and let folks know that there are others that will work for the plumbing of light aircraft and have the ability to do a little more than the average flaring tool.

The Rigid tool (when kept clean) can not smear or deform the flared material. It's cone rolls on bearings with almost no friction from the rolling.

the Rigid tool has a release clutch to tell you when the flare is done. It prevents someone from over doing and ruining the end by thinning out the cone to the point of destruction.

this works well with 5052, 6061,Aluminum and 303/304/316 and 321 Stainless aircraft tubing.

The Block type tubing holder clamps the tubing for perfect cuts with a hacksaw on the backside. Clean it up with a file and it will be much more than satisfactory.

I have never had one returned, I did have someone send a 45 year old one back after they wore it out in a production environment and had not ever lubed the bearings. The rest of it looked like the new ones. I asked him if he thought that he deserved warranty on it and he said, no I just wanted you to see it. He bought a brand new one.

If you have not done so, Go to the link in my first post and read about the Helpful hints it will help you make better flares regardless of what tool you use.

Hi Tom,

Indeed the Rigid flaring tool works well. I own one, but when opening the drawer in my tool box where it sits with the RoloFlare, I grab the Parker 99.9% of the time, because I hate screwing around with the two pieces when inside an airplane. I agree it's a good tool, just sort of klutsy in a lot of instances where the Parker is just quite a bit handier. That being said, with my current project, I have a lot of AN12 and AN16 tubing that I'm flaring, so obviously the Parker won't work for that (but neither will the rigid).

For bending, it's well worth getting a good one as others have referred to. Here I have to agree with Tom. Imperial Eastman is kind of the best benders money can buy in my opinion. Not only the multiple cavity "value" benders that we all have, but they make some really nice single diameter benders with replaceable dies (read REALLY expensive) in their high end pro lines. When using small tubing the multiple cavity benders are great, but again with large tubing you're stuck.

In the end, as others have said...in some cases flexible hose is an ok alternative.

Cheers,
Stein

Aircraft Tool Supply has the Rolo Flair on sale right now for $70.

Yes...but...Bob Avery deserves the business more than ATS.. I don't recall ATS doing much for the RV crowd (or VAF) whereas Bob Avery frequently goes above and beyond to help out the RV community. As a builder myself I know every penny counts, but I can guarantee you that Avery will appreciate your business much more than ATS will so I'd encourage anyone that is buying tools to please buy tools from one of the people that support this community (Avery/Cleaveland/GAHco/ect..).

I have no connection with any of these companies other than as a builder and buyer of tools as a small business owner myself I can say that people like Bob Avery deserve the business (and they do personally appreciate it), even if it is a few more bucks. Avery is one small part of the reason that you get to participate these forums free of charge.

Sorry for the completely irrelevant post! I'm not saying ATS is bad - just that I really like to see people support those that support you.

Cheers,
Stein

Formula 1

BOB AVERY = HELPFUL

I bought most of my RV specific tools from him in 97, he suggested some more that I did not ask for. I ended up using every one of them, and I did not have to make the "He already told me so", second and third orders.:)