markscogg

Well Known Member
Just got this ROL-AIR flaring tool from ACS.
Their description says it will not score the tubing.
I am getting scoring on the outside of the tube.
3/16 pictured. Is this acceptable?
1606307_m.jpg

1606308_m.jpg

Funny play on words - I have the Parker Rolo flair.

I deburred my jaws with 1000 grit sandpaper. Try using red scotchbrite on this piece and see if there are impressions or just visual changes to surface. Mine "buffs right out" . YMMV

Mine does the same. Wrapping a turn of masking tape around the tube first seems to fix the problem. Maybe they had harder grade material in mind.

Deep grooves - time to buy another tool?

These grooves are deep, I would guess .002 at least.
Your fingernail stops dead at each one.
Tried one wrap or masking tape. Didn't do it.
Tried two wraps, that worked. But I had to tighten the jaws very tight to stop the tube from slipping. Actually necked the tube down some.
Time to return the tool and buy another brand.
What works in the $100 range?
Thanks
Mark
1606307_m.jpg

Try putting oil on the cone that pushes out the flare each time and only light clamping pressure on the tubing. Made all the difference in the world for me.

I have the same tool; it makes very slight marks, but not near enough to grab a fingernail. I do put oil on the cone at every use.

Chris

I used a Parker Rolo Flair (ACS Part # 12-01575) and had nothing like what you see. With imperfections .002 deep, I wouldn't be using it anymore - I'd be returning it.

Dan

Tools

I own the Parker Rolo Flare - it does a pretty good job. The center slides to form the flare flange. The Ridgid 41162 model 377 is a pretty good tool. You may find for just over $100 by searching. The Ridgid tool has a rolling center cone to form the flare. Both make excellent flares. Similar skill needed for both.

The Parker makes a nice radius at the base of the flare, I don't know about the Ridgid.