AntiGravity

Well Known Member
What have others been doing to wire the flaps with dual infinity stick grips? I could go with the two relays as suggested by Infinity (if I can find suitable ones here), but I had been looking at the "Flap Positioning System" sold by Vans; except that is designed for a single switch and I am not an electronic genius capable of working out how to use two switches [on the grips].
Cheers,

Hey Jeff, I'm not familiar with the infinity grips, but how easy would it be to accidentally deploy the flaps above Vfe with the flap switch on the grip? I'm putting my flap switch on the panel, but in easy reach of the throttle, to avoid exactly that.

Hi Steve

I considered that but decided I'd just be extra careful :p
I suppose, if you wished, you could wire an airspeed switch into the circuit...

There's a way around that.....

Jeff / Steve -

You can simply run your flaps through a secondary flap switch on the panel before the wiring to the grip switches. The switch on the panel has Flaps On/Flaps off. You put the switch on as part of your take-off and landing checks. When in cruise Flap switch on panel is set to off so you don't accidentally knock it.

I am installing dual infinity grips however still not convinced that I will put the flap switch on the sticks - final decision yet to be made. One thing I am considering is a starter switch through a relay on the infinity grip (with secondary protection switch as described above). This will allow me to start the donk with one hand on grip and the other on the throttle (more relevant to taildraggers).

Cheers

JON

Clarification

Hi All, maybe I need to clarify my question: I already have the Infinity grips with the momentary toggle switch for the flaps. What I'm after is how to wire them in; I could go with the standard relays as per the Infinity Aerospace schematic on their website, but I wondered if anyone had run through one of the flap positioning system boxes (such as sold by Vans).

Jon: I have starter on my grip and it will be wired to a 'starter enabled' button and annunciator LED on the panel. The rear stick will also have a 'rear stick enabled' switch and annunciator. I don't feel the need to do the same with the flap switch; sure I could perhaps knock it, but the way it is positioned it is only likely to get knocked up rather than down, unless I rest something on top of the stick which I would think unlikely. Ok, never say never and all that, but I don't plan to have a 'flaps enabled' switch as well; I have enough switches already!

Jeff,
Don't sweat VFE and accidental flap extension. I have been flying the Doll for over 1000 hours with the flap control on the Infinity stick, and have never accidentally lowered the flaps. Having the flap control on the stick becomes completely natural after just a few hours, and I have really missed having it there when flying other RV-8s.

Last edited:
I'll second Danny's experience - no problems accidently hitting the switch in the Val, and I really miss having the switch there on other planes - it becomes pretty natural.

Paul

I'm doing the same thing right now, dual Infinity sticks. I'm using Van's solution. Easy, light and cheap.

Flap control circuit board

I'm using a starter enable switch on the panel for my stick mounted starter button. What type of relay are you using for those?

Thanks Guys,

I'll either go with the Vans flap board or use two relays as per the Infinity schematic; not sure I understand the schematic though and will try to find someone to explain it to me. I think it is designed so that if front pilot flaps up and the rear flaps down it won't go poo-poo or something! I just don't know why yet! I've also managed to find a local(-ish) guy that has recently set up a business helping builders with their panels and electrical; very timely for me; I've just initiated contact and I'll see where that goes (if anywhere).
Thanks again

Jeff,

I have used the Vans relay board on 4 installations so far and no problems. I do have a recommendation for you, just for safety. If you have a unfamiliar co-pilot you don't want him/her messing with anything that will affect the flight of the AC. What I do is to install a DPDT switch on the panel and lable it "Stick Select". Very easy to wire, Infinity has all the common's seperate for their switches. Take the Flap common and the trim common from the hat switch and wire them to the NC and NO of the stick select switch. For example the left stick to the NC terminal and the right stick to the NO terminal. Now the common terminal wire to Ground. So the same for each stick for the common wire for the hat switch.

What this does is to remove the ground return for both the flap control and the trim control, and isolating the stick from those systems.

As for remote starting I use the Vans pressure switch and a cheap automotive horn relay for that control. One word of caution, if the oil cooler is located on the FW this doesn't work very well with Vans pressure switch.
I have encountered a situation where after a few bladed the pressure switch will open. because the oil system is charged and normal cranking will produce enough pressure to open the switch. In this case a adjustable pressure switch will be required.

Hope this helps,

John H.

I used the Aircraft extras FPS with the airspeed switch which is adjustable. It connects to the flaps down line and will not let you put the flaps down when over the speed that you set.I have everything installed with the dual infinities and it works well.

Thanks

Hi John,

thanks for that; JD at Infinity supplied a switch for rear stick enable/disable and I have mounted this on one of the right-side bulkheads. It is reachable by the rear seat passenger should they ever need to and it will link into an annunciator light on the panel. 95% of the time the rear stick will be disabled.

I plan to wire the starter to a panel switch for enable/disable. It will be one of those missile switch jobbies so cannot be accidentally activate.

Ken: that was exactly what I was wondering about. I know I would lose the infinite adjustability but I like the idea of having fixed settings; less to think about. Cheers.