newrv-4

Has anyone built an RV-4 with flaperons? I got the idea from the book about modifying a Mustang II. It seems to me like it might be a good modification to consider when starting a new kit. The desired goal would be to increase short field performance and add a few degrees of reflex flap for cruise. I have considered a few ways to make this mod and none of them seem overly difficult? What does the community think?

Welcome

Hi Ed & Welcome,

I almost didn't post Ed, as Mike Starkey is the unofficial Welcome Wagon guy here. :D

To your question, I haven't given it much thought as the short field capabilities of the -4 are already quite outstanding. Maybe Smokey Ray will join in on this.

Also, you can go to the "Archives" and search slow flight and short field capabilities on the -4.

My personal short answer is No, I wouldn't do it. Van designed it so he could get in and out of his short family strip. Try to get a video/CD from Vans which has movies of Van flying the -4 and other models.

If you're looking for more STOL capability I suggest going to a different airframe. However, if you want to try it, I wish you the best. :)

Cheers,

Welcome

A second welcome, Ed.

My two Air Tractors have flaps that droop to -7? when the flaps are fully extended to 30? but let me tell you, the ailerons almost take two hands to move when they're extended even a little. The high pressure air underneath them is a bear.

We need the extra lift for takeoff, mainly when we use very little aileron anyway.

With practise, you can land a -4 in close to 500' and stop.

Best,

Welcome to VAF!

Ed, a belated (stinkin time zones grumble grumble) 3rd welcome to you :D

Good to have you aboard the good ship VAF.