bobnoffs

Well Known Member
the trailing edge rivets protrude into the flaperon far enough so that the head of the rivet on the opposite side won't sit flat on the skin. it sits about 3/32'' above the skin. how do i handle this? would i be so lucky that the rivet will pull the head tight when i set it? lp4-3 rivets
thanks for any advice.

Take a piece of scrap the same thickness as the aileron, drill a hole in it the same size as the rivet and put a rivet in the hole and pull it and measure the protusion after pulled and use that to determine if it will fit under your aileron skin space

As I remember, you need to pull that rivet in slow stages, pushing down with the rivet puller as you go. A pneumatic puller is too fast. Hand puller, slowly and with constant downward pressure.
Hope this helps
DaveH

As Dave said, keep a firm downward pressure on the rivet and set it with a steady pull using a hand riveter. It should pull up tight.

the hand riveter worked great on my test piece. however it left the first [and last] rivet in the flaperon sticking up. guess i will see what the rivet mfgr. has on monday. they must have the same head with a little shorter grip length.