On Page 14-02 of the plans, Step 8, It says that the Com-3-5 bearing should be a press fit. I can install the bearing in the W-1212A plate with light thumb pressure. When I cleco the W-1212B-L and -R the bearing is held firm, but I am concerned with the loose fit in W-1212A. Has anyone else had this problem.

Just performed that step on my second bracket. I countersunk the wrong side of one of the brackets. Mind-lapse. My bearing slid into the center bracket with thumb pressure. Once the two flush rivets are set, the bearing is captured and held tight. With regard to the flush rivets, one would think the shop head should be flush with the bracket surface. Both JerryG and I could not squeeze them hard enough. One thing I did notice, if you really bear down on the flush rivets, the bracket must deform a bit because the bearing spins a bit less freely. JerryG filed down the head per instructions from Van's. I am going to wait and see if there is an interference problem and then borrow a rivet head shaver in the countersinking tool if it needs to be flush. As it sits now, the manufactured head is about 3 mils above the surface of the bracket. Ensure the bracket is 90 degrees to the flange, you don't want a gap between the 3 pieces at the bearing end of the bracket. Bend them slightly, if necessary. You will be able to tell when you cleco the 3 pieces together. Hope that helps.

Last edited: