PeteP

Well Known Member
When I align my flaps with the neutral aileron position I barely get 32 degrees, or slightly less (31.7) of travel. I have double checked the flap drive and aileron centering and just can not get more that 32 Degrees. The manual calls for 32 to 37 degrees minimium. How much travel have other been able to get?:confused:

Pete
RV-9A

Just adding another reference point after fitting my flaps for the first time to the fuselage. I get a maximum travel on the flaps of 31.5 degrees. This is from flush to the fuselage full up to the max downward travel of the flap weldment. I don't think there is any real way to increase the travel unless the geometry of the weldment is changed. Van's needs to update their specifications from 32-37 degrees to something more like 30-32 degrees.

We get just over 30 or so... I don't think you could ever get 37 unless something is wrong...:eek:

suggestions to resolve limited flap travel

went through the same issue a few weeks ago; here are my suggestions:

1. confirm your tool is installed in wing alignment holes, and does not flex. my first tool moved a bit, so it was difficult to repeat accurate measurements. after building a new, rigid tool, my measurements were more accurate, and more consistent.

2. use alignment tool -w930, as I recall- in each wing simultaneously. in switching the tool from one wing to the other, I "lost" the neutral position slightly, and had differences in left and right travel. I used the original tool as a template to make a second. Using two at the same time reduced more inconsistency.

3. confirm flap pushrod at the rear of the wing does not rub against the exit. I found both of mine rubbed, limiting some travel, so I judiciously filed away offending material.

4. as suggested above, confirm no binding of flap pushrod or bearing against fuselage.

5. I quit at 34 degrees elevation; this is not an aerobatic airplane, and I want to fly!

I get way less than the factory specs. I agree with Bruce that Van's needs to update their info but that just ain't gonna happen.

By the way, the 31 or so degrees that I get is plenty in flight! I'm amazed how effective those flaps are.

Effective?

Please define effective. Big honkin' drag making barn doors or anti-gravity devices?

Both of my flaps will go just over 31 degrees. Vans Manual, Section 15, page 15-2 has a table listing the values expected. It shows 32 degrees specifically for the RV-9/9A.

Like Pierre said, "Problem solved...move on."