andrew phillips

Well Known Member
My flap system is activated by a momentary down/always on up toggle switch on the stick grip. Position will be displayed on AFS 3500 EFIS. When I flip the switch to up the flaps will run forever (if I'm not patying attention). I did see a schematic for a microswich disconnect when flaps reach full up but someone told me that there might be a timer system available...any ideas?

Not sure what you mean

I'd love to help, but I'm not sure what you are trying to do.

If I understand what you wrote, you intend to hold the switch in the down position with your thumb for as long as you want the flaps deflected? In other words, as soon as you release that switch, the flaps will go all the way up?

I would forget the timer and replace the switch with a momentary down, center off, momentary up switch. If you are wanting the flaps to fully retract without holding the switch up (ala Cessna), install a switch on the flap actuating arm that shuts the motor off when fully retracted.

Larry

No timers for me!

There are quite a few RVs, including mine, that I know of using the on-off-momentary on toggle switch. Momentary on for down travel allows you to control the amount of flaps going down and the on allows you to raise the flaps all the way. For this you need to install a microswitch to stop the flap motor when it reaches the full up position.
My switch is mounted on the Infinity Stick grip, but you could also mount it on the panel. Your choice.
Good luck.

Flap disconnect switch

I use the flap toggle that comes with the infinity grip - up-off-momenary/down. To avoid the issues of the 'up' position continuing to run the motor even thought the flaps are up, I wired in a position cutoff switch. I cant remember, but I think I got it from Digikey (if not, something like that). Basically, when the actuator arm travels to the flaps-up position, it triggers the switch which then opens the circuit. It is an elegant, simple, and reliable idea formulated by Carl Froehlich, another RV-8 builder in VA.

Jon

I have this switch system on my -9. After a couple of times forgetting to put the flap switch to off after retraction I installed a warning light for 'flaps running'. I've got a similar light for the fuel pump (carb 0-320).
Tom
RV-9, G-CDXT, 70hrs