Jeff A

Well Known Member

The plans say to trim the area in red. Okay, no problem. But what do I do with the area in yellow? Do I leave that open? Create a small extension? I was considering trimming the curved part of the trailing edge in the area of the blue circle, and then slightly bending the flap upward to minimize the gap (which would also let me get rid of the small ding I have in the corner of the flap trailing edge). Any suggestions? BTW, the incidence is already set, so no changing that. The flap is properly aligned with the aileron, and the aileron is centered. Am I being too picky? Should I just trim the area in red and leave it? As always, your help and input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Bend it

I bent it up slightly to minimize the gap.
You can see the cut-out I made in the trailing edge on the bend line in the picture below.

DSC03272.JPG

I also added an additional rivet close to the inboard edge (where the flap skins overlap) after taking this picture.

Hope this helps.

Flap/Fuselage

I added a piece of metal and closed up the gap. It looks good when the flaps are up, but leaves a sharp corner when the flaps are down. Since most RV'ers leave the flaps down for easy exit and entry, care must be taken when working under the plane. While cleaning the belly I must be careful not to stab myself. Still, I like the clean seal when the flaps are up.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2s151mb.jpg[
[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/1fzqsg.jpg

Last edited:
I did as Danny did..added an extension which I then trimmed to match the fuse and bent slightly upward to create a tight seal with flaps up. I did however round over the corner to a 3/8 radius because I did in fact "stab" myself during the build and decided not to donate any more blood to the plane.

I do not have a picture on this computer.

Ken

ditto

Same as Ken and Danny. Here's a photo.
6r1r8o.jpg

It's only visible with the flaps down, but like others, I didn't care for the visible gap. I trimmed the flap per the instructions and put a slight bend on the bottom inboard edge to close up any remaining gap between it and the fuselage when the flaps are up.

J. Baker

flap too short?

Both Jeff A and RV8_builder,

your flap is shorter than mine. or else the fuselage skin is narrower.
My flap extended inboard far enough that the trim line fit the fuselage with no triangular gap. Proper flap and aileron rig did leave the trailing edge low relative to the fuselage, which is normal. I will probably fabricate an improved fairing at some point to blend that up onto the belly. But I don't have a triangular 'hole' like your picture shows.

Is this something peculiar to the -1 matched-hole kit?

Match hole vs. Pre-punched

My guess is that Van corrected this problem in the match hole kit. There are other errors in the earlier pre-punch kits, like the fit of the instrument panel to the fwd upper cowling.