RScott

Well Known Member
Drilled my trailing edges with flap clecoed together as per plans and instructions, but when I went to dimple the top skins I noticed that several of the holes in the upper skin got elongated. AEX wedge and bottom skin are fine.

I went ahead and dimpled, but made an arbitrary decision as to which edge of the hole to center the die on. So, some of the dimples may not quite center in the countersunk holes in the AEX wedge.

When I go to rivet, will the hammering squish the metal around & set the rivet down flush even if the dimple is not centered in the countersunk hole below it? Anyone have experience with this?

I think it will depend on the severity of the misalignment, which you didn't mention. If it's less than 1/4 hole off, and the rivet drops in without too much drama, my experience is that the metal will conform as you rivet. More than that: things will get interesting and some sort of repair may be needed.

You may also be at an increased risk for oilcanning in the area, depending on the direction of the misalignment.