olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
Looking for the flap switch assembly that is an incremental down as long as you hold the switch and when selecting "up" you just push it momentarily, take your hands off and the flaps go all the way up (ie- go arounds).

Looking for a source to buy one

Thanks.
Oly

That would be an APEM 648H/2, DPDT ON-OFF-MOM switch. Digikey has them in stock, P/N 679-1236-ND for $11.92. They also have P/N S339R-ND, an NKK switch with a plastic flattened lever if you like that style over the round one.

Of course you'd need limit switches on your flaps, at least for the UP position. Otherwise it gets more complicated than just a switch or two.

You'll need some electronics to do that. You desire goes beyond the capabilities of a switch. at least one vendor sells a solution for this.

Larry

Flap Switch

You'll need some electronics to do that. You desire goes beyond the capabilities of a switch. at least one vendor sells a solution for this.

Larry

Larry,
What vendor is that and would you happen to know the name or part number?

Oly

Larry,
What vendor is that and would you happen to know the name or part number?

Oly

Sorry, I don't have one and don't recall the name. I often hear of Flap position system, but do not know the mfg. I recently saw another box performing the function you desire, but don't remember which site it was. I suggest the search function. I have seen many threads this subject.

Larry

TCW Technologies flap controller does what you want. Great product and super nice people to do business with. Easy install as well.

You don't need a flap controller. Just the proper ON-OFF-MOM switch and a couple of limit microswitches on the flap actuator or motor assembly. Hold the flap switch down to move the flaps down; flip it to the UP position and the flaps go all the way up. If you don't want them all the way up, move the switch back to the center position to stop them.

It may not be quite as fancy as a microprocessor based flap controller, but it's a lot cheaper and easier to fix in the field if something breaks. But if you're wanting to use a switch that is momentary in both directions and just needs a "blip" to raise the flaps, then yeah, the flap controller will do that.

You don't need a flap controller. Just the proper ON-OFF-MOM switch and a couple of limit microswitches on the flap actuator or motor assembly. Hold the flap switch down to move the flaps down; flip it to the UP position and the flaps go all the way up. If you don't want them all the way up, move the switch back to the center position to stop them.

It may not be quite as fancy as a microprocessor based flap controller, but it's a lot cheaper and easier to fix in the field if something breaks. But if you're wanting to use a switch that is momentary in both directions and just needs a "blip" to raise the flaps, then yeah, the flap controller will do that.

Not even a couple of limit switches, just a single one on the UP circuit. :)

This circuit from Vern at vx-aviation will do it -

flap_switch.jpg

You may also want to check with Pat Hatch, a member here and RV builder/owner..he has some great control wizzardry that he developed. Another choice is what I have in my set-up...I have the MAC grips in my -4, and have Ail/Elev trim and 2 buttons on my stick, Left button lowers, Right raises them. Makes it a breeze to adjust flaps without taking hand off stick. As soon is I touch down, I slip thumb on right button and hold til full retract. In go-arounds it allows me to work them up as I manage my speed/climb without even batting an eye.

I had been thinking about mounting the flap control on the stick. The argument has been that the flaps are too easy to inadvertently deploy. Your hand is always on the throttle at the times that you would be using flaps so having the flap switch next to the throttle made sense.