ccsmith51

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me the width, length, and thickness of stainless steel tape for RV-4 flaps? I contacted Van's and they no longer sell it, and couldn't give me that info.

I have the UHMW tape that they sell, and will install that on the bottom of the upper wing skin. But I also kind of like the looks of the tape, so thought about putting that on the flap.

Thanks,

Last edited:
If I understand you correctly, and if you are talking about the stainless tape to be applied to the forward rounded top portion of the flap, then I will warn that over time it will get scratched and look bad. Some type of protection at this area will protect the paint and aluminum. I had a synthetic hard tape applied in this location, on my -6 and it was looking terrible in the first 200 hours. You may know all this and plan to replace as needed. Initially, it will look excellent. Also, if you apply a synthetic tape at the top underside of the wing where the flap contacts, it may help. Keep us posted on your final decision and how it works out. I am interested as many others may be also.

I have big plans for my plane for the months of March and April. I plan on replacing the panel, rewiring as needed, moving switches and breakers, replacing some floor panels, making boots for the flap rods, condition inspection, touch up the interior paint, refinish the canopy frame, etc. etc. etc.

At that time I will pull the flaps and do all I can to remove anything on the bottom of the top skin that can scratch the flap. There are a couple of places on the flap where the paint is already scratched off. Once that is as smooth and even as possible I will attach the clear UHMW tape to the bottom of the wing skin.

Then I would like to install the stainless steel tape on the flaps. It will cover up the scratches, and it will cover up some of the mistakes (smileys, minor dings) the builder made when he fabricated the flaps. And I think it looks kinda neato.

The UHMW tape Van's sells for the RV-4 is 3" x 10'. But I am not sure if that is the correct width for the stainless tape. I also don't know the thickness. I can find tape at numerous places, but don't know the proper dimensions.

Thanks for the help,

The thin tape will help with less scratching I imagine. My synthetic tape used was thick, near 1/16 thick and it scratched up quickly.

Part of the issue seems to be when the flaps are deployed at around 100 they are lifted against the bottom of the wing due to the pressure. This is what seems to cause the flaps to contact the underneath of the wing itself resulting in the scratches. When my flaps are operated on the ground they never even contact the wing.

I don't know the dementions of the tape needed for your application. Others on VAF likely know way more than I so wait for their responces and we will all learn more. Someone here will put the tape size out for you shortly, I am sure.

I love the Stainless Steel Tape

I just went into Google and found a source when I bought mine. I went with a source that had a $100 minimum order so I bought several widths. 3" worked well as do wider widths. The other dimension is simply the length of the flaps. The thing you have to determine is the exact location of the the wing skin on the flap when the flap is full up. Disconect the flap to clear it from the wing skin apply the stainless steel along that line. The forward end can wrap around the leading edge of the flap skin on you can cut it off flush with the edge. The source for Van's used to be JC Whitney and the cost was very reasonable - just the cost of one roll.

I put mine on when I built the plane and we have been flying it for 7 years. It is a hard bearing surface. There are minor marks on on the stainless steel but they are superficial and it never fades or degrades. You can't go wrong with it in my opinion.

Bob Axsom

tape width?

Just looked on the JCW site and they don't show a 3" width but do have 4.25". Will this work or how hard is this stuff to cut? I'm guessing very difficult to cut and still have a good edge.

Flap protection

I used light grey 2 part teflon paint in lieu of the tape, and really like the results. Its the same paint we use on the flaps of all Boeing products where the seals rub the flap leading edges.It is available in white,grey and several other colors..I masked so it does not show when flaps retracted, and applied with a roller to the flap LE as well as the bottom of the wing skin,the same as we do on the big birds.We use Akzo Nobel paint, but others sell it also.This teflon paint is also applied to all of my fairing mating surfaces,gear leg upper and lower ends and cowl flanges. Its super easy to brush on a fresh coat at annual time and keep everything fresh, plus it doesnt peel, yellow or degrade from oil. Try it, you'll like it !

I found two sources for 3:" stainless steel tape:

McMaster Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-foil-tape/=fuemwk

Grainger

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Foil-Tape-4CLH3?Pid=search

The Grainger price is twice the McMaster price for the same quantity.

McMaster says that the foil is 2 mils thick, and the adhesive is 2 mils thick, for a 4 mil total thickness.

Grainger just says that it is 4 mils thick, not stating whether that is the thickness of the foil, or the thickness of the foil and adhesive. I called Grainger and they said that the foil is 2 mils, and the adhesive is 2 mils, same specs as McMaster.

So, I will order a roll from McMaster Carr and install that.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Stainless steel tape is fine, if you like the look, and if you like to risk a nasty finger slice. And it doesn't always stick well over rivets, bumps, etc.

Here's a very durable alternative that lets your paint show through. It's replaceable, in the unlikely event it gets damaged, and the cost is reasonable.

paint protection film

We have it in stock. Most RVs need 10' to cover the flaps. Measure yours to be certain.

Vince

The "slicer" comments are warranted

The rolls are marked to warn users but the stainless steel edge is SHARP and it will cut you to the bone if you get the slightest bit careless. Once it happens you are more careful and it isn't a problem but getting cut once is a common experience I believe. Maybe this emphasis will make you sensitive enough to avoid that one cut.

Bob Axsom

I have big plans for my plane for the months of March and April. I plan on replacing the panel, rewiring as needed, moving switches and breakers, replacing some floor panels, making boots for the flap rods, condition inspection, touch up the interior paint, refinish the canopy frame, etc. etc. etc.

At that time I will pull the flaps and do all I can to remove anything on the bottom of the top skin that can scratch the flap. There are a couple of places on the flap where the paint is already scratched off. Once that is as smooth and even as possible I will attach the clear UHMW tape to the bottom of the wing skin.

Then I would like to install the stainless steel tape on the flaps. It will cover up the scratches, and it will cover up some of the mistakes (smileys, minor dings) the builder made when he fabricated the flaps. And I think it looks kinda neato.

The UHMW tape Van's sells for the RV-4 is 3" x 10'. But I am not sure if that is the correct width for the stainless tape. I also don't know the thickness. I can find tape at numerous places, but don't know the proper dimensions.

Thanks for the help,

The width would be just a little bit wider than the throw of the flap. With the flap up, make a mark where the skin of the wing is on the flap. Than at full flaps, make another mark and add another 1/2" to stay under the wing skin. I think you can figure out the length needed.

The UHMW tape does a better job. Just touch up scratches before you install it. The touch up does not have to be perfect.

Last edited:
Be aware that UHMW tape turns yellow fairly quickly. It also peels... but not when you want it to come off, of course. Then it flakes off in pieces. YMMV.

PPF is 1000x superior, not because I happen to sell it, but because I've dealt with the other choices.

Vince, how much of the 4" would be needed to cover the flaps and use for anti chafe on the fairings? Would it also work to protect the leading edge of the nose wheel fairing when dropping/sliding/scraping the lower cowl when de-cowling? My plane is at the paint shop right now and I want to line my ducks up for re-assembly:)

Thanks

Jeremy Constant

I've got this stuff all over my plane:

4" x about 10' for top of flaps
under gear leg fairings
under canopy rear skirt
on leading edge of tailwheel fork where grass wears the paint
on the cowling/firewall joint
various other places

Anywhere that you want the paint to stay nice! It is very good at preventing fairing or cowling removal scrapes and boo-boos.

Vince

Thickness of Paint Protection Film?

Vince

Can you indicate the thickness of the 3m Paint Proctection Film? This looks very promising to me.

Thanks,
Andreas

I don't have a piece in front of me, but I think it is about 0.010" thick. About the same as masking tape, or electrical tape.

I used light grey 2 part teflon paint in lieu of the tape, and really like the results. Its the same paint we use on the flaps of all Boeing products where the seals rub the flap leading edges.It is available in white,grey and several other colors..I masked so it does not show when flaps retracted, and applied with a roller to the flap LE as well as the bottom of the wing skin,the same as we do on the big birds.We use Akzo Nobel paint, but others sell it also.This teflon paint is also applied to all of my fairing mating surfaces,gear leg upper and lower ends and cowl flanges. Its super easy to brush on a fresh coat at annual time and keep everything fresh, plus it doesnt peel, yellow or degrade from oil. Try it, you'll like it !

Bill, do you have some specifics about the paint you are using? I would like to know where to buy this product.

Why not just make sure the flaps don't rub?

I've got a RV-7 and had a little rubbing originally. After massaging the leading edge a bit with my hands to get the curve to match the travel arc better, I could get it so there was almost zero rubbing over the entire flap travel. I get just a slight bit of contact when the flaps are fully retracted. I put some of the Teflon? tape on the underside of the wing skin to protect any slight contact, but I don't think this was really even necesary.

I know all builds are different, but it seems that this should be possible on other models (certainly the -8 since the wings are the same) also. This would eliminate the need for protective tapes and the possible scratching/discoloration that goes along with them.

Greg
RV-7

Be aware that UHMW tape turns yellow fairly quickly. It also peels... but not when you want it to come off, of course. Then it flakes off in pieces. YMMV.

PPF is 1000x superior, not because I happen to sell it, but because I've dealt with the other choices.

Not to derail this thread but the UHMW tape on my RV is doing exactly as stated above. Any suggestions on removing the old cracking yellow tape and residue before installing new?

Try a heat gun.. but not too close!!! Or a hairdryer might be safer.

There is no convenient way to remove that stuff that I'm aware of.

Is the point of applying the stainless and/or UHMV tape just to protect the paint on the flap? Is the installation needed on my unpainted flap?

Is the point of applying the stainless and/or UHMV tape just to protect the paint on the flap? Is the installation needed on my unpainted flap?

Paint and primer protect the aluminum from corrosion. Scratches and abrasion will expose the bare aluminum to the elements.

I flew 5 months and 75 hours before painting my airplane, but I knew that I wanted to use the clear stuff Vince sells and wanted to keep the surface in good shape for the paint. I used the stainless steel tape that came with the kit before paint and the clear stuff after paint.

Jeff, put it on the underside of the wing skin and not on the flap. Will protect the flap till you paint. Then after paint put a new piece on the underside of the wing and stainless tape on the flap itself.

Jeff, I forgot to add that by placing the tape on the underside of the wing skin and not the flap you do not have to worry about the tape turning yellow and brittle in the future since it is not exposed to UV light.

Thanks Charlie. I've got both types of tape coming from McMaster-Carr tomorrow so I can put the flaps on for good.