Derek,

Yes, drill a hole through the end of the actuator as shown. Obviously you have to allow some clearance for the stop nut and also be careful to drill at the correct angle to clear the edge. Also, there seems to be a lot of consensus on this list that a better way to loop the safety wire is to drill a hole through the rod end as shown. This is on an RV-6 but should be the same for the -4.

Thankyou

Derek,

Yes, drill a hole through the end of the actuator as shown. Obviously you have to allow some clearance for the stop nut and also be careful to drill at the correct angle to clear the edge. Also, there seems to be a lot of consensus on this list that a better way to loop the safety wire is to drill a hole through the rod end as shown. This is on an RV-6 but should be the same for the -4.

Thanks Pat,

Appreciate the quick reply and picture. Perfect !

alternate method

I did the service bulletin, but i also used a piece of .032, drilled a hole for the rod end bolt and worm clamped it to the shaft of the actuator so there is no rotation as the actuator extends an retracts. That way, the jam nut and safety wire are just backup.

Thanks Brad

I did the service bulletin, but i also used a piece of .032, drilled a hole for the rod end bolt and worm clamped it to the shaft of the actuator so there is no rotation as the actuator extends an retracts. That way, the jam nut and safety wire are just backup.

Would you happen to have a picture of this method ?