RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Wings are on and now installing flaps. 9a, anyone ahead of me able to provide either a good builders log site or comments on the following.

1. brass bushings for flaps need to be cut from .25 down to .156 Any easy ways to cut that small a part that size? Uggh Must be easier way than a hacksaw?
2. va256 flap push rod length. We have made the fues holes to fit, but are having trouble getting the right length to give us the correct travel. Should the flaps be in line with the wing and then down max 45? what do folks use to get accurate angle measure and how many times did you have to take on and off???

Today is just one of those days were it appears we forgot how to build. Looking at the rod, taking it all apart, cutting, putting all back together and the stupid things just doesnt seem to be getting there. Scanned Dan C and a few others sites and cant find good details. Any help would really make today a better day!

Mine has been flying for 3 years, but I do not remember cutting the bushings shorter. Also Max flap down on my 9a was 32 degrees. Seems like I just pressed the bushings into the wing bracket s they were.

The way you are supposed to adjust the flaps on the -9 is to set the aileron position using the long stick attached to the end wing rib. Then the outboard ind of the flap matches the inboard end of the aileron. The flaps will probably not touch the belly of the plane when this is done, per Van's.