rtemp

I'm New Here
Has anyone had the flap catch the trailing edge of the wing skin when retracting and crease/bend the wing skin? If so, what is the best method to straighten the skin without causing more damage. The bent area is approx 12".

disconnect the flap and let it droop.
Bend the skin as necessary.
Check flap travel and make sure its tight up.
This usually happens from someone stepping or putting pressure on the flap in a down position. Also travel geometry can be a problem if the flap pushrod is just a hair off at the flap attach point.

No Im afraid not. Best you can do is play with it with a flat hammer and a block. But without drilling out the skin to be able to get to the other side of the crease, you will just be stuck with it im afraid.

The wing walk area has a double skin. Are both the top and doubler creased, or just the bottom doubler? If it's just the bottom, you can slide a piece of thin steel between them, and cut the doubler to the rear edge of the rear spar with a cutoff wheel in a die grinder, or dremel tool. Worst case, the wing walk material can be extended to cover a crease.

RV-6 wing walk doubler damage

I the flap come out once and when retracting it damaged the doubler under the wing skin behind the rear spar. On the 6 this doubler extends behind the spar while on the 7 it ends at the spar. My solution for the damage was to trim it off. See the link below.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=47925

During flight or on the ground I know my flap in the down position will not catch the wing skin unless someone leans on it. That is why once I land I now always retract them 5 to 10 degrees before I park so this will not happen.

Last edited:
I the flap come out once and when retracting it damaged the doubler under the wing skin behind the rear spar. On the 6 this doubler extends behind the spar while on the 7 it ends at the spar. My solution for the damage was to trim it off. See the link below.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=47925

During flight or on the ground I know my flap in the down position will not catch the wing skin unless someone leans on it. That is why once I land I now always retract them 5 to 10 degrees before I park so this will not happen.

On the ground, after some maint items .... I'm sure someone (me) leaned against the flap :( Lesson learned. I had it repaired today, the crease is still there, but all edges match. Thanks for all the imput. I may reduce the flap travel to avoid this happening again.