Limey9a

I'm New Here
Hi all,

Just a quick intro. I fly a 9A from Gloucester in the UK.

Has anyone fitted the Flap positioning system in the Vans catalogue to a 9? It's one part number for the 4,6,7&9 but I have read their install instructions and they don't mention how to set the 9's different flap angles.

If it's the same part then how is this done please?

http://www.showplanes.com/index_800.htm

In fact their settings look like machined indents in the round rod to me.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

Thanks

Steve

Fixed positions

Steve I see this is your second post, Welcome to the Forums!

I have installed the flap-gismo on my 9A, but I am not flying yet. You are correct that the stops are at set intervals. As a matter of fact, I have not even had the wings on yet, so I can not tell you at what Flap angles the flaps will stop.

I will set the flaps to position "Up", "1", "2" or "Full down", for a particular stage in flight. The exact position of the 2 steps between "Up" or "Fully extended" are not that crucial, I guess. Will it be that important to have 14?, 15? or 16? flaps? if you think it is, this systeme is not for you.

Regards,

I emailed the company and asked about degrees settings

Some months back I emailed the company(showplanes) and asked about the flap settings. The reply back that I got for the three position model is that they are set roughly at 7, 17 and 34 for a RV9/9A.

I believe Vans gets the flap positioning system from Showplanes. Hope this helps.

Guys, IMHO, you don't need the FPS for your RV. You can turn your head and see the flaps. If you want, just mark the flaps with the position you want.

I have found that it takes 3 seconds to move the flaps three degrees, so that is a number even I can count to.

Even with that, I put in all the flaps abeam the touchdown point trim the plane (65 mph solo/70 mph with two on board) and fly. The airplanes are so over powered, even with 135 hp, you don't have to retract the flaps to climb.

Just one guys opinion.

Last edited:
Rv9A Flap position

I used the Show Planes flap positioning system. It works well and eliminates the flap setting issue so you've got more brain space available for other things. Especially good when in IFR conditions.

Wasta
RV9A flying

Flap settings marked on wings

When I did some transition training in Dan Cunninghams RV some years back, Dan have the flap positions marked on his wings and like Bill said I just looked out at the wings when setting the positions. This is the route I will probably take. The flap positioning system would be a luxury I might add if the funds become available.

FPS

....... I for one would love to have the 'silly' flap lever from a C 152 that I trained on.
slap on first notch, hear the motor whirrrr, then stop, trim.
slap on second notch, etc. repeat.

If only I wasn't so scared of wiring I'd install one.
that and the $300.

Yep, I think Flyboy is on to something

I think Flyboy is onto something. A set to position is nice. It's also how the big boys go.

Maybe while I'm out of I'm out of my shop (cast on my left foot) I'll research. Anybody got the cessna pn's?

Rick

Flap settings 9A

I have the FPS, and my inspector wanted to know the settings.
So I measured them.
Position 1 is 7?, pos. 2 is 16? and pos. 3 is 30?.

FPS

Steve

We had the FPS on our 9A based at Wellesbourne, it worked flawlessly for 6 years. Very easy to use and reduces work load during take off and landing.

I have also fitted the system to my 4 which will hopefully be flying in a month or so, I think its that good.

One thing, I suggest you wire the switch onto the panel, I initially wired mine so it could be operated from either of the sticks, then I found my passengers inadvertantly pressed it and deployed flaps when in the cruise.

I agree. The FPS is great. The only system I like better is Vertical Power (at least available on the VP-200). You can hit the flap down button three times quickly for full flaps. I may add it to the -9A, but some rewiring would be required. Now I just want to get it out of the paint shop so I can fly it some more.