cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
I powered up my panel today on my RV 9A for the first time. My flaps were extended at the time. I have a flap position switch from Van's. I pressed the switch down once and the flaps went down 10 degrees, then again and down 20 degrees, then again and down full flaps and the flap motor cut off. Was I happy. However, when I pushed up on the flap switch, nothing happened! What is wrong? :confused: I can't find info on troubleshooting this unit.

The switch form vans just changes polarity. So the problem is at the switch. Look for loose wire. Hold the switch in up position and reach back and shake the wires on the switch.

warren

Hey Dr Cleve

The wiring is a bit goofy on this switch. Check that all the wires and a jumper (if I recall) are all in the the right place. Mine did not work the first time either.

Control box on flap position switch shorted out

I called Show Planes, the manufacturer of the Flap Position Switch sold by Van's and told them about the problem of not being able to retract the flaps for the first time when I finally had the panel wired. The technician said that he bet that I had shorted out the control box when, several weeks ago, before I had my panel installed, I had put power to the flap motor wires to retract the flaps. He suggested that I send the control box back for him to check to if it could be fixed. :( I was afraid at the time that it might cause trouble but didn't listen to myself!

I did the same thing, except, mine would not extend. Bryan took good care of me and gave me a very reasonable price for the repair considering I killed it.