Bayou Bert

Well Known Member
I am ready to install the Ray Allen POS12 for flap indication.
I have searched the post and will install with RC hardware on the
flap arm on the right side of the plane.
What I didn't see, does the arm on the positioner have to travel exactly
the full length to be correct? I think it has a 1.2" travel, so I guess I am
asking, does it have to be setup to extend all the way?
I tried to get GRT today to see if calibration takes care of not moving all
the way, but never received an answer.
I have the HXr EFIS and will tie into one of the analog lines.
Set me straight, please.

Not sure about GRT, but it assume it works similar to the G3X. When you calibrate the flaps/fuel gauges etc you must name a value for the voltage supplied by the sensor. Doesn't matter what the value you can name it 20* flaps or 20 gallons. The Ray Allen position sensor doesn't have to go to full travel, it will just have a smaller range of possible position.

On my 7, I have a lever arm that will allow me to adjust the sensor to avoid hitting either end as a stop. I am concerned that hitting the end of travel on the pot can end up in breaking something with vibration in flight.

YMMV

Flap position

Bert I would expect it will have a calibration method, mount the sensor to have 1" of travel and you should be fine. I mounted mine in the center with the flap actuator- easy access and mounting there. Keep crankin'

Here is how I did it.

Like BillL, I made a small extender that allows you to set the start and end points. Easy.

2f03l2b.jpg

No it does not have to go limit to limit.
Set up is the same as with the HX - go to GRT web site, support, documents, HX, flap sensors. Just ground one end of the RA pot, run the variable connection to the HXr analog port, select "pull down on", follow calibration directions.

Boy, if someone just made a kit or had good instructions for this many, many build hours of either design, or experimenting could be eliminated.

Basically, (1) the position sensor should be mounted at a 30 degree angle to the vertical, (2) the pivot on the flap arm needs to be right over the weld for the strap. Just make a bracket and slide it up and down until it looks good with the flap arm in mid position. No adjustment method for the sensor is needed. The lower sensor connection pivot is 2 inches from the center of the tube for the flap crossmember.

These two pieces of information will yield the correct travel and a linear motion for the position sensor as the line of action is perpendicular to the center of the rotation arc.

As seen in posts above, a few closely spaced holes in the lower sensor pivot will allow final adjustment of the travel, and the link adjustment will position travel within the limits of the sensor.

As seen in posts above, a few closely spaced holes in the lower sensor pivot will allow final adjustment of the travel, and the link adjustment will position travel within the limits of the sensor.

You're right. Exactly!

Hi Bert, sorry you couldn't get anyone here yesterday. We've been short staffed and still in catch-up mode.

Bob is right. The position sensor does not have to be (and really should not be) at max travel on each end. The HXr measures the small amount of voltage coming from the position sensor, which changes as the sensor arm moves. During Flap and Trim Calibration (General Setup page), you will move the flaps to the UP position and push the SET softkey to record the sensed voltage, then repeat for the DOWN position. The HXr then uses those min/max voltage figures to calculate the flap position and display it on the screen. In theory, you could only use a small portion of the sensor movement if you wanted to, and it would work fine.

Much Thanks

Thanks everyone for the great replies.
Went to the local RC store this morning and picked up
what I needed for the connection.
Now, with all the fantastic info, build a small bracket for
the sensor and bolt it in place and adjust so no stops are hit.
Katie, I figured that's about how it worked, but in the HRx install
manual all I saw was the wiring page.
Thanks again to everyone.

I just posted a clarified version of the Flap/Trim Sensor documentation on both the HXr and HX documentation pages of our website.

Thanks for the question. This site is so handy. :D