Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
After doing several searches I have come up empty on a good alternative to the Vans supplied UHMW tape. Several threads mention a tape by 3M called RockBlocker, but 3M website doesn't recognize that name. What might be a good alternative to the standard tape sold by vans. I want to get something that won't discolor.

Thank's all,

Put the tape on the bottom side of the top skin where the flap will rub. That way, when the tape discolors, no one will see it.

I used the PM Research tape

The same thing that Erich mentioned. See his thread link.

You can buy just the length you need, it is easy to apply, and it looks great. After a full year, it looks like brand new except for the areas where there is some scuffing from the skin, and it is doing its job.

The instructions were complete, it was easy to do well. Highly recommended.

Stainless Steel and the Van's Tape

I put stainless steel tape on the flap and the plastic tape from Vans on the mating underside of the wing skin. That has worked well for me (7 years).

Bob Axsom

Putting the tape alone on the underside of the wing skin instead of the flap itself still lets the paint on the flap get scratched up pretty quickly because of tiny dirt particles getting trapped in there in between the flap and the tape. We found that one out the hard way.

Putting the tape alone on the underside of the wing skin instead of the flap itself still lets the paint on the flap get scratched up pretty quickly because of tiny dirt particles getting trapped in there in between the flap and the tape. We found that one out the hard way.

I concur with that. I recently changed out the five-year-old tape on my flaps because it had gotten brittle and yellowed. Took me a couple of hours - not bad for aircraft maintenance. I almost went with putting the new stuff under the wing skin, but then thought about the fact that all the scratches in the old tape were caused by grit - and if the tape under the skin got dirt in it, the scratches would be in the paint.

Others have had good experiences with the flap under the skin - I just throw this out there for your consideration...

Paul

For the same reasons, I've used this tape on the upper fuselage where the sliding canopy closes & rubs against. I've seen numerous RV's where the paint is scratched or rubbed off under the canopy.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Like dpansier said, we have it in 2" and 4" widths. Never yellows, and can be removed without damaging your paint if needed... up to 5 year later! (Unlike most tapes that dry out and turn to glue after a few weeks or months.)

I use it all over the plane, on the front of the tailwheel, around fairings, where my canopy rubs, and right on top of the flaps where it gives 100% protection, etc... Good stuff and reasonably priced.

3M paint protection film
- scroll down to see it.

Vince

H-M-M-M

The Stainless steel tape on the flap leading edge (Which used to be supplied for this purpose by Van's) is around 7 years old and it still looks like shiny stainless steel when the flaps are deployed and is not visible when the flaps are retracted. The plastic tape under the mating wing skin is not visible ever.

Bob Axsom

hard to get the old stuff off

I have been working on this for about 8 hours now (spread over 2 weekends).

The tape was still original from 2000. The tape on one side came off fairly easily - about 3 hours - but the left side is really proving difficult. The tape seems to have three layers and the top layer came off pretty easily but the second layer and the glue reside is not coming off.

I've tried heat, two kinds of decal remover, goof off, every other goo remover on the shelf at local stores and even a little mineral spirits.

I'm considering pulling the flap and taking it to the paint shop at 52F to see if they can get it cleaned up.

And yes, I searched the forums and read all the various threads I could find on it. I don't know what the original builder used but it is some tough stuff!

I have been working on this for about 8 hours now (spread over 2 weekends)

I've tried heat, two kinds of decal remover, goof off, every other goo remover on the shelf at local stores and even a little mineral spirits.

Ya gotta be real careful with goo off, it's been known to remove all the way down to the primer! My wing tape was so old that the teflon peeled off, leaving the layer of yellow adhesive. I soaked it with WD-40, waited a few minutes, and it wiped off with a rag. A couple more applications and it was all gone.

Mike - that's exactly what happened here. The teflon pulled off leaving the adhesive. I will try WD-40 tonight. Thank you for the tip.

No Joy

I tried the WD-40 and it took the adhesive off ok but the thin layer of plastic on top is still sticking strong.

It may be time to pull the flaps off and take them to the paint shop. Bead blast?