Frank Smidler

Well Known Member
I have read various threads about problems with the flap motors. I experenced something new that may affect others as well. As I was finishing up the wiring on my RV-6 slow/slow/slow build flaps I tested it out without the side covers on. It worked great. I then proceeded to put on the side panels and stopped for the day.

The next day when I got back to work I decided to admire my handywork and actuated the flap motor to see and hear it work. It worked but seemed very labored as if it was binding up. I started to trouble shoot the problem and found that when the side panels were removed it worked fine. I eventually found that a screw on the pilot side cover, on the diaganal, second from the top, was long enough to hit the actuator gear block. This caused it not to articulate as designed.

I am sure that if left as it was it would have caused a failure after a short period of use. I ended up cutting off a screw and putting it into that one location to eliminate the interference. I wounder if others who had problems with poor performance of their flap motor may have had this same issue and have not identified it yet.

Hope this helps

Frank
RV-6 N84FT
Wiring, soon to mount engine.