My flap motor appears to have failed after only around 20 hours flying. I have checked voltage to the motor etc so am sure it is a mechanical failure.

Very surprised it has failed so quickly; anyone have experience of the reliability of the flap motors in an RV7? Is it possible to just replace the motor rather than the whole flap motor/gearbox/rod assembly?

... Is it possible to just replace the motor rather than the whole flap motor/gearbox/rod assembly?

Mark:

Welcome to Van's flap motor club. We have a large alumni group. :)

Assuming you're using the motor supplied with the kit, and it's an older kit, it may be grease in the motor. There are numerous threads on this so use the "search" function on this site to find them.

If it is the motor, you can clean the grease out. Worse comes to worse you can buy a new motor direct from the new supplier. It fits perfectly (ask me how I know). To answer your question, yes you can replace the motor only without having to change anything else (assumig the motor is the problem).

Chris

Last edited:
Check out Van's website...

...and under the Service Bulletin section, see:
SB 07-4-12
SB 04-3-1
SB 96-10-3

Then look at the FAQ section, and find the letter on FLAP MOTOR MAINTENANCE. I think this will answer your questions...

Mark,

Check out this thread. Somewhere in there Tad talks about cleaning the flap motor, which works just fine.

Still, if mine go out a 3rd time, I'm going to buy an extra flap motor and toss it in my flight bag along with the tools needed to replace it.

Yep, I'm also a member of the 20 hour flap motor club...I just bought a new unit so I have an extra laying around.