APACHE 56

Well Known Member
I am making an inquiry for a friend (computer phobic) who is building a Harmon Rocket. He is at the flap motor attach stage and is confronted with the aileron bracket (A-406?) and the flap motor ball. They are not compatible in that the ball looks to be a considerably larger than the bracket opening. Since this is a standard Van RV4 kit what did you folks do to fix the problem?
Thanks,
Don

the pix make it easier to describe

Steve,
Seeing you flap motor installed makes it easier to describe the dilemma my friend is facing. On your website look at your Friday, January 12, 2007 (F449) posting. The accompanying photo shoes a clear picture of the flap motor and the attachment bracket - called the "aileron attach bracket outer A-406" in the RV8. The issue is that the rod end ball on the flap motor is much larger than the opening in the attach bracket. It may be that he got the wrong bracket but according to his plans that isn't the case either. Do you recall having to make a modification of some sort?
thanks again,
Don

There is a note in the instructions somewhere that says "file to fit" the end of the actuator to fit the bracket.

What I did was actually joggle the bracket to fit the actuator... it makes field repairs easier if the actuator needs replacing.

I also used a flap actuator from and RV-9 which is different than the one they provide with the RV-4 kit. To make it fit, I mirror-imaged the installation.

Vern

Steve,
Seeing you flap motor installed makes it easier to describe the dilemma my friend is facing. On your website look at your Friday, January 12, 2007 (F449) posting. The accompanying photo shoes a clear picture of the flap motor and the attachment bracket - called the "aileron attach bracket outer A-406" in the RV8. The issue is that the rod end ball on the flap motor is much larger than the opening in the attach bracket. It may be that he got the wrong bracket but according to his plans that isn't the case either. Do you recall having to make a modification of some sort?
thanks again,
Don

Don, this picture. Click it to get a biggger version.

The A-406 is the powder coated steel bracket that the flap motor is attached to.

My memory is this:

1) I clearly remember that I had to flatten the end of the steel bracket with a file in order to get the motor to sit far enough back for the bolt to go through, and allow the slight but necessary movement.
It made rather a nonsense of it being a powder coated part.

2) I have a hazy memory of it being just minutely too narrow for flap motor to slide in. What I did I am not sure, but my guess is I did run a file over the flap motor.

Sorry not to be clearer. Mostly VANS are very good, but that is one of those parts I wonder why they did not do the job properly.

Vern's solution is best!