MrNomad

Well Known Member
RV9A: Concerning the joint of the flap actuator that extends from the bottom of the flap motor, to the flap weldment (the bar that operates both flaps), there is a safety wire procedure called out on Plan Page 33, Detail E.

In addition to the safety wire, I assume there is also a washer arrangement as well as the cotter pin. If anyone has notes on the washer arrangement, please post.

WHY? I removed the weldment to clearance the DELRIN blocks which were too tight and placed an unnecessary load on the motor and so I am looking for some directions pertaining to the washers.

Second, my flap motor works great after 360 hours. I am reluctant to take the motor apart and look for grease. My motor was purchased in 2008. Any ideas or leave well enough alone?

Thank you.

For the connection from motor actuator to weldment, my drawing 33 rev 2 (RV-7,9) has the hardware callout as follows:

AN4-10A Bolt
3X AN960-416 Washers
AN365-428 Nut

DWG 33 shows the actuator rod end getting the following hardware:
AN4-10A Bolt
3X AN960-416 Washers
AN365-428 Nut

So you should have bolt, weldment, washer, rod end, washer, weldment, washer, nut.
No cotter pin needed.

A better way to safety the rod end bearing is by drilling a small hole through the rod end. No relative motion between the parts, so the safety wire won't work harden and break. I also put some loctite on the threads.
IMG_0916-M.jpg