Iluke

Well Known Member
A question for those of you who are past the point if installing your flap hinges.

I've read several posts suggesting drilling some extra holes in the skin & flap brace and temporarily installing a few NAS1097 rivets, flush head toward the hinge, before clamping and drilling the flap hinge. The idea, and it seems to make sense, is to make sure the flap brace and lower skin are properly aligned before drilling the hinge. You'd then drill out the temp rivets and install regular rivets, flush hear toward the exterior in the extra holes.

Here's one such post: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=77521

I'm inclined to try this method, but I thought I'd post this first and ask if anyone has any thoughts of things I ought to consider first.

thanks
-Ivan

Flap Brace

You can pre-squeeze some rivets such that they fit tight in the holes. Insert these rivets into the skin and brace holes so they are flush with the bottom side of the brace. After you fit the hinge and get some clecos installed, pull the temporary rivets and discard. This might save you from drilling the 1097's.

I first drilled, deburred, and installed the flap half of the hinge. I then installed the wing half of the hinge with the pin, clamped the flap in place relative to the aileron, then clamped the wing half of the hinge to the wing skin and flap brace, and drilled away. I did have to tweak the angle of the flap brace a bit to get its holes to line up with those in the skin.

Here's a link to my build log.