PUCKETT

I'm New Here
ON MY FACTORY BUILT RV-12 THE FLAP HANDLE ACTIVATOR BUTTON IS EXTREMELY STIFF PROBABLY DUE TO A VERY HEAVY SPRING. IS THERE A FIX FOR THIS TO MAKE IT EASIER TO DEPRESS?

Works for me, not my little-muscled wife

Pull up slightly and then press - this may help the pressure.

My wife found this technique just didn't work for her weak thumb muscles, and I ended up trimming a twist of the spring off. With the shortened spring, she can push the button easily, and it appears to have plenty of spring-back to keep the flap handle in the detents. Van's maintains that every aviatrix should be able to push the button as designed, but they probably all have wives named Maxine or something, rather than Tina. :)

Joe Gores found the correct spring that is much easier to push (I can send you the number of it if desired) Still there were finger pinching, so I stuck the button in the lathe and turned the button off, then added ramps so it can be pulled to full without using the button. I love the way it works now.
oic4zm.jpg
[/IMG]
i2n5f4.jpg

24vn1og.jpg

Last edited:
Below is a copy of an email that I sent to Don from TX a long time ago.
Joe Gores
I purchased a weaker compression spring from Century Spring, part number 72144S. Now I can push the flap handle button in with my little finger. I was worried that the new spring is a little too weak. But it seems to lock into the detents OK. Century has a slightly stronger spring, part number 72160S which is still weaker than Van's spring VA-114.
http://www.centuryspring.com/
You order must be at least $40. That will buy you 4 springs. Maybe you can sell the extra to other builders.

If it's a factory SLSA

I don't think you as the owner of an SLSA can modify anything, even a spring, unless it's approved by the manufacturer. So, you know....

Landing concern

I think van used the stronger spring to prevent from the flaps from releasing accidently ( unplanned and unfortunate event that results in damage, injury, or upset of some kind ) close to the ground.
My View