CFI1513840

Well Known Member
I wondered what other builders are seeing when rigging the flaps. I thought this was a little excessive, but maybe I'm just being too picky.

With the fuselage leveled in both axis, incidence set with Van's 3" Block, ailerons set at neutral, flaps in alignment. I also double checked across both wings at the trailing edge with a digital protractor, all within .1 - .2 degrees.

IMG_0102.JPG

The right flap droops about 3/16 ".

IMG_0101.JPG

By comparison, the left flap tucks up pretty nice.

Fly the airplane first. If you have a slightly heavy left wing (not that unusual), raise that right flap to flush.
Having the flaps slightly higher than neutral will help cruise speed a little.

Ken, yours looks almost identical to mine. I felt the same way, but will be taking Mel's advise and take it from there.

:cool:

Here is how I handled it on my -6

joggle.jpg

Good idea to fly first though.

My -6 flies very straight until I slow to flap speed when it wants to roll right. This gets slightly worse as I deploy the flaps but it is always well with in the range of the simple manual trim to cope with. I don't want to monkey with the flaps since anything above 80 kt is beautifully straight.

Anyone else notice similar?

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Phase 1

All things equal, you will have a slightly heavy left wing in a side by side.

Fly the airplane first. If you have a slightly heavy left wing (not that unusual), raise that right flap to flush.
Having the flaps slightly higher than neutral will help cruise speed a little.

You sit on one side and it is enough to make it feel like you have a slightly heavy wing. My 6 is perfectly balanced when I have a passenger of similar weight. However, with just me, she dips to the left. I dont consider that a heavy wing although some do and prefer to be balanced for solo flight with equal fuel in both tanks.
Just thought I would mention it.