briand

Well Known Member
Or Builder Error.

I'm looking at my flap dwg. zone G-9. It is the front view of the left flap spar. But... it appears to be the right spar, unless my spars were mis-marked. If I hold the spar in front of me with the web facing away and the flanges pointing at me (front view) the taper goes the wrong way. There is no other view that shows the taper so I can't verify anything. Does anyone know of another way to verify right from left? The rib layout doesn't work either with the left lableled spar but it does with the right labeled spar. I suppose that is another verification for a mis-marked part but I want more.

I believe Van's changed the bracketry at some point, or different models use different bracketry. At any rate, first confirm your bracket type. The one I'm building required me to make three pieces for the bracketry. These are the 406A, B, and C pieces. So, here's my $0.02 to your dilemma based on that...

I'm not in the shop right now, but if memory serves correctly, there are 10 lightening holes in the flap spar. Nine of which are in three groups of three. The tenth hole is out by itself, and is on the inboard end. (Also, the rib-attach holes for the inboard rib are not prepunched on the spar.) I believe the shortest edge of the taper is the top. Of the two you have, if you lay them beside each other with the tenth hole at the same end and flanges facing the same direction, the tapers should go in opposite directions. If they both go the same way, you need to contact Vans.

Also, the inboard rib flange faces inboard while ALL the others face outboard. So on the left flap, the ribs will be labeled (From inboard moving out) R-L-L-L-L-L and on the right flap, L-R-R-R-R-R.

I had a bit of difficulty with the drawings as well, despite the instructions clearly stating this is the simplest part of the kit to build. And if you watched George's video, his is a bit different as well, as far as rib flange orientation goes.

I'll doublecheck when I get home this evening.

Good luck.

vmirv8bldr said:
I believe the shortest edge of the taper is the top.
Good luck.

Thats what the dwg seems to indicate and I figured this might be due to the fact the wings angle up as they exits the fuse. I guess then my spars must be mismarked. I do have two different spars but the longest edge of the spar is on top (unless I place the right on the left and the left on the right).

I'm not sure about the brackets, I'll check when I get home from work. I know that they need to be fabed. from scratch. My wing kit is the latest rev..

I hate that dwg. (the brkt. details really suck too) but now I have the spar issue squared away I can build on.

Keep on poundin...

If you have two different spars, as far as I can tell, the only difference is the direction of the taper. Call Van's to be 100% sure, but it looks as though there would be no problem swapping them. Doublecheck the drawing and your orientation as well. It makes my head swim sometimes trying to confirm leading, trailing, inboard, outboard, flange direction, etc. Only having one side in the drawings adds to the confusion when doing the other side, L's and R's.

The bracketry you have to fab should only fit one way though, and that's with the shorter edge on top.