Lots of folks have had the 5A breakers pop on them in flight and have replaced them with 7A breakers.

I have a 5 amp in mine. OK for 3 years. I don't have anything else hung on to it like indicators.

Roberta

Jamie said:
Lots of folks have had the 5A breakers pop on them in flight and have replaced them with 7A breakers.

How many is lots?

A few years ago I measured the current draw of the flap motor just as it was being stalled and if I remember correctly it was about 3.5 amps (This was the old style motor but I believe the new shold be about the same).

N184JG said:
What size circuit breaker do I need for -8 flap motor?
You probably know this but I'll mention it any way.

Use a pullable type breaker for the flap motor. Just in case you get a runaway, you will be able to turn it off. Probably not before it runs the flaps all the way down but at least you won't have to worry about smoking your motor.

Just my $.02

It depends

AMPS vary under load and just sitting on ramp. If you like lowering flaps full at 100 mph than you will pull more juice. (I suggest slowing down before going full flaps.) 5 to 7 amps sounds right. I measure the same, about 3-3.5 amps under no load.

Last edited:
CB Sizing

Just a reminder. Circuit Breaker sizes should not be sized for the current draw of the device on the end of the line, but rather to protect the WIRES. Size the wires for the device...

John
#40208 Wings