Rhino889

Well Known Member
I have phone calls/emails into Vans and fellow builder. Waiting for replies...

Searched and didn't find any info also.

Stumped! I have made the angle pieces of FL-406 flap bracket. My question is regarding Fl-406B. It's a flat plate. Is this somewhere premade or do I need to make it aswell? If I make it, what out of? How is the material labeled? Is it like the aileron brackets or just think stock?

fl-406.jpg

Thanks for any insight. I looked at 3 builders websites and this detail always seems glanced over?

Thank you,
Scott

Last edited:
Looks similar to the RV6 flap bracket

That one uses 1/8" plate for the 606B, a cut down 2"x1 1/2"x1/8" angle for the 606A and a tapered 3/4x3/4x.063 angle for the 406C.
This assembly really took some time for me to figure out.
Good luck!

Did they change the bracket system in the later 8s? My wings were delivered in 2004. Every website I look at for RV-7/8, they show just the FL406B riveted to the rib and omitting the FL406C. They also show the rib facing flange inward (toward wing tip), my plans show flange outward (toward fuse) to accommodate the FL406C angle.

Seems a nutplate system has replaced the FL406C?

Thanks,
Scott

Did they change the bracket system in the later 8s? My wings were delivered in 2004. Every website I look at for RV-7/8, they show just the FL406B riveted to the rib and omitting the FL406C. They also show the rib facing flange inward (toward wing tip), my plans show flange outward (toward fuse) to accommodate the FL406C angle.

Seems a nutplate system has replaced the FL406C?

Thanks,
Scott

The flap apparently has changed. My wing kit was bought within the last year and the inboard end of the flap isn't framed like your drawing. As for material, the material spec and thickness is shown under the piece mark in your drawing. If there isn't a pattern in your documents, I assume the part was included in the kit.

Looks like .125 2024-T3.

Robert

Thanks Robert for the reply. I was hoping that I just missed the part and it was hiding in the workshop some where. A friend pointed out that when the plans callout material specs... You fabricate the part. This was a point lost on me till he stated the obvious.

Thanks for the confirmation on flap bracket being changed. Reading blogs and builders websites was only adding to my confussion with conflicting information regarding different bracket assembly arrangements.

Thanks again,
Scott

Flap Changes

Thanks for the confirmation on flap bracket being changed.

Scott, Van's has a new Flap Assembly Drawing (DWG 14B) that proved helpful to me when I encountered the same problem. If you need it, Email me and I'll attach the PDF to my reply.

My SB wing kit is from 2001, and yes those parts all need to be fabricated from the stock you should have received with the kit. That flap bracket FL406B is made from flat plate stock per the plans. It took me a while to find the dimensions for making the bracket, but they are there right under your nose hidden in the middle of the end view of the root rib. It is also full size in the drawings so you should be able to use tracing paper to trace it out if you don't want to take the time to measure it.

The combination of the 406C being cut to be tapered, along with that other piece (FL406A) being bent after being cut to fit, creates the effect of the flap bracket sticking out a little at it's end so that the flap actuator rod will be able to attach to it later. I found that putting that 406A angle in a vice and giving it a couple of whacks with a mallet was enough to achieve the "bend" I was looking for. Overall these parts were a bit of a pain in the patoot to fabricate but certainly not insurmountable.

If you need more info from me, you can PM me with a cell number or something. If need be, I'll take some pics of the the parts separate and another one of it all assembled and installed on the flap, as one flap is done and the other one is not yet.