szicree

Well Known Member
I'm about to replace my flap brace to adjust the position (long story), and was told by Van's that I can use pulled rivets to attach the brace to the rear wing spar. When I built the wing I used solid rivets as called out in the plans, but Van's said that the quickbuilds all use pulled rivets so it's really no big deal. Can somebody out there confirm this for me and also maybe tell me what rivet to use? Thanks.

Steve Zicree
RV4 (mostly doing electrical and a few loose ends)

I can confirm that Vans has said that you can rivet that brace back on with pulled rivets. Don't ask how I know..........

Use Cherry max rivets there, with round heads. I believe you need a 4-2 length for most of them. Order a rivet gauge for cherry max rivets from aircraft spruce and then you will know exactly what length rivet to use. Solid rivet convention does not apply with cherry max and you need to have the exact correct length with these buggers or they will not be work well.

You actually can buck the rivets that are close to the root end of the wing, especially those that go through the sparweb. Then use the cherrys outboard of those you can't reach to buck.

Regards,

If you're talking about the flap gap fairing rivets for the rear spar, I'm going through that on a -9A QB right now. I was looking and looking (and looking)for the AN426AD4-8 and 4-9 rivets that the plans call for, but I couldn't find where any were included with the QB kit in any of the bags. Then I stumbled upon Bag 497-2, which is labeled 'QB Flap Brace Attach'. It's only contents are (80) MSP-42 rivets and (6) CR3212-4-6 Cherry (flush) rivets. So these must be what I'm looking for (flush for the three inboard-most rivets, and the MSP-42's for the rest). Can anyone else chime in to say if I'm right or wrong?

Thanks.

ge.. you're right.. however, it's noted on the flap assembly drawing (at least on the -7 drawing (14A).. not sure about the -9 drawing..).

The note reads:

"Quickbuilders use blind rivets to attach flap brace to rear spar. CR3212-4-6 at root end; MSP-42 elsewhere."

The CR3212 rivets are countersunk. This suggests countersinking the large plates on the spar and dimpling the flap brace. Seems simpler to use solid rivets. Correct? This is on a quick build and only applies to the three innermost rivets.

I should have been more specific. I am referring to an RV-8A quickbuild.

I was helping a guy today and we could not figure out why he had CR3212 rivets for the three inboard holes when two non-QB RB-8s had domed (AN470 ?) rivets there.

Last edited:
The RV-9 is a different animal!

If you're talking about the flap gap fairing rivets for the rear spar, I'm going through that on a -9A QB right now.

The -9 uses a totally different type of flap from the -6, -7, & -8. The RV-9 uses a flap gap seal and hinges similar to the ailerons. The -6, -7 & -8 uses the top flap skin as the gap seal. I'm pretty sure what he is talking about is the flap brace that reinforces the flap attach hinge.