skyking902001

Well Known Member
DSCN0572c.jpg

Question for those who have gone there before--Looks like when the flap brace is trimmed per the "notch to notch", it will leave less than minimum edge distance for at least the first rivet hole and very close to less on the second hole. I have sent an email to Van's, but have not yet had a reply. Did anyone else have a edge distance problem here?

Thanks,

Skyking902001
RV-8

cut on the right side of the blue line, then if it doesn't fit, use emery cloth to let it fit- don't literally cut the blue line

Yes, just did it. Cut fat, check fit, adjust as required. There's extra space on the spar to allow you to cut it without compromising edge distance on that one rivet hole.

Personally, my view is that although the e.d. is less than it should be, in this particular application is likely to be acceptable. Only a stress engineeer can know for sure. Still, for now you can always hedge your bets and do something like this:

349c45g.jpg

If Van's tells you even that is not necessary, for consistency sake you can always trim away the "bump" later on.

Rick... you continue to offer insanely logical options....

In case someone hasn't thanked you recently. Thanks. That suggestion was not obvious to me but it should have been. Much more to learn and its not even my flap brace here....