RepmikeBrown

Well Known Member
After installing my aileron and flap I noticed the flap trailing edge was about 1/4" longer than the aileron.
4v087o.jpg
I really wanted a match so after searching around I found an older post about flap alignment that Ironflight had on the 3B back in 09 and It sounded the same as mine. So after trimming the bottom skin and raising the hinge 1/4"my trailing edge alignment is dead on now but I did have to move flap brace in order to allow the flap full travel to neutral position.
2cxesk7.jpg
I used the airfoil template when I aligned the aileron the first time, so I just matched the trailing edges together and taped them, and then re-drilled the flap brace. The pictures attached are the results which are not acceptable to me. The top skin doesn't get close enough to wipe the flap, the flap misses by 3/8"?
2el49c0.jpg
I can only see drilling out a lot of rivets in the top skin and resetting the flap brace. I do have the machinery to bend about 1/4 more on the front curl that would allow travel room to where it comes to rest on the brace. I've taken a week off to ponder this which I should have taken before closing the wing. Any suggestions
repmikebrown

repmikebrown

Mike
4 left wing

Last edited:
We'll, I broke down and called Vans, confessed my faults and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly they walked me through correcting everything.
I did have to drill out about 1/3 of the top wing rivets because they wanted me to reset the flap brace. I did learn sometimes the angle on the rear spar needs a little more bending and they do have a loaner tool to accomplish this. After resetting the brace, I did have to replace one aileron bracket ( I moved it 3/16) to mate the flap position. I'm really impressed with how quickly they solved my problem. I'm really satisfied with how well everything lined up and now the top skin just wipes the flap skin, perfect. I'll post a picture of the results as soon as I button up the top skin... So relieved