Normal drill bit is all you need to use. Keep good control using a drill press,and clamp the work firmly, as the drill will want to pull into the plastic as soon as it starts to cut.
Cheers,
DaveH

Last edited:
Also, it helps to drill slowly or the drill bit can wander slightly while moving through the material. Using a short drill bit helps too. If the exit holes are even slightly off centre compared to the entry holes, then getting the blocks to bolt up can be a pain due to the bolts not quite being square to the blocks/floor/support angle/nutplate sandwich.

I ended up using a lathe and a drill stock for mine, I just couldn't quite get it right using a drill press.

I was able to successfully drill the flap blocks on the drill press. It was surprisingly easy. I did drill slowly and at a slow speed. Now I have another problem. Clearance for the bolt head and the aft seat belt bracket is not sufficient. After talking to the mother ship, I will remove the seat belt brackets and take about 1/32 off their leading edge to allow the bolt head clearance to tighten down all the way.

https://douglasgeib.smugmug.com/N104MG/i-QXMkSJk

Now I have another problem. Clearance for the bolt head and the aft seat belt bracket is not sufficient. After talking to the mother ship, I will remove the seat belt brackets and take about 1/32 off their leading edge to allow the bolt head clearance to tighten down all the way.

I had the same problem. I too took a little off after exchanging emails with Van's. I used a carbide burr and took a slight scallop out of the bracket with enough room to allow a socket wrench to get on the head of the nut.