RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I did not find this under a search so I am hoping someone can help. The bolt head on the flap bearing block (F-445) interferes with the read seat belt anchor bracket. The right side is close but the left side will require me to trim some of the seat belt bracket. Has anyone else run into this with either a slow or QB. I have the QB and I have another issue with the lower part of the 807 bulkhead being a little forward, now with this issue I am thinking something is not lined up properly but for the life of me I can't see what is up. I am hoping some of you -8QB might shed some light on this for me. I am thinking that maybe they did not trim enough off these brackets when the kit was put together in the PI.

Thanks for any help.

Another Problem

OK I figure since no one has replied my problem is isolated, I will just trim enough of the seat belt bracket to clear the bolt head, but now another issue.

I was having trouble getting the flap bearing blocks to line up, the distance between the two holes when attached to the flap weld mount was slightly wider than the holes in the floor. I beveled the inside of the flap blocks so that they would slide further onto the flap weld mount and this made the holes line up. But now I will not have the edge distance to drill the forward hole thru the block and into the longeron, just on the left side the right looks like it will be OK. I think I will need to order another flap block and dv8 from the plans for the placement of the aft hole so that it centers on the longeron.

Has anyone else run into this edge distance issue. I am trying to decide if something is off on my QB, I have had other issues in the area of the lower part of this bulkhead.

Thanks

IIRC we had a similar issue with the rear seat belt mounts - it was the little horizontal bit at the bottom of the mount which in this context I guess is a web rather than a flange?? Anyway 2 minutes with the Dremel was enough grind a little of that away and get the bolt for the flap bearing block into place. I'm confident that it will not compromise the strength of the seat belt mount - I showed my inspector who agreed.

AS for your second query do you mean that the blocks are too far apart or that the front and rear holes in each block are too far apart? Again IIRC, we had to drill the forward bolt holes in the longerons and mount nut plates for the bolts through the blocks to thread into. The side to side issue was just a matter of making sure the blocks had slid far enough onto the flap actuating weldment. Your description sound like both the front and rear holes are already there? In which case I have no suggestion except to get another block and redrill leaving enough edge distance.

Chris

OK I figure since no one has replied my problem is isolated, I will just trim enough of the seat belt bracket to clear the bolt head, but now another issue.

I was having trouble getting the flap bearing blocks to line up, the distance between the two holes when attached to the flap weld mount was slightly wider than the holes in the floor. I beveled the inside of the flap blocks so that they would slide further onto the flap weld mount and this made the holes line up. But now I will not have the edge distance to drill the forward hole thru the block and into the longeron, just on the left side the right looks like it will be OK. I think I will need to order another flap block and dv8 from the plans for the placement of the aft hole so that it centers on the longeron.

Has anyone else run into this edge distance issue. I am trying to decide if something is off on my QB, I have had other issues in the area of the lower part of this bulkhead.

Thanks

If I understand you correctly, I had this problem on my 8A. When the blocks were pushed all of the way onto the flap weldment, the assembly was a bit too wide to allow the bolts to fit the holes. I spoke to Van's and what I wound up doing is to chamfer the edge of the weldment holes in nylon blocks. This let the blocks slide a bit farther onto the weldment since the weld was accomodated by the chamfer I added to the holes.

Guy

What happened with the fwd hole

If I understand you correctly, I had this problem on my 8A. When the blocks were pushed all of the way onto the flap weldment, the assembly was a bit too wide to allow the bolts to fit the holes. I spoke to Van's and what I wound up doing is to chamfer the edge of the weldment holes in nylon blocks. This let the blocks slide a bit farther onto the weldment since the weld was accomodated by the chamfer I added to the holes.

Guy

Guy,

This is exactly my issue, I beveled the hole for the weld mount do that it would snug up closer to the welded area and this allowed me to get the aft holes bolted for the flap bearing blocks. The instructions say to drill the forward hole through the floor panel and the longeron using the flap block hole drilled in a previous step. Well if I do this the left flap bearing block will not have the edge distance (not in the middle) of the longeron. The only thing I can think to do is to get another block and instead of offsetting the forward hole 3/8" like the plans call for I drill it offset just a bit so the hole is not centered on the block but the bolt will center on the longeron. I just can't figure out why it does not line up now, the floor panels all line up nicely. So did you have a tight edge distance when you drilled the forward hole through the block into the longerons?

Cheers
Mike

Mike,

The holes in the block should be in line fore and aft. If the back hole lines up with the predrilled hole in the floor and longeron, then the front hole must also be over the center of the longeron. The forward hole is not offset compared to the back one, which is what your post is implying. I just looked at drawing number 77 to confirm my memory of this. It might help to post a photo.

Chris

I believe I had the same issue as you and I fixed it with a dremel as stated above. I recall there being ALOT of fussing with the blocks and the clearances with getting the bolts to fit in correctly. I dont think you have anything abnormal, its just the tedious parts of building your own airplane.

I'll get pic when home

I will have to snap a picture when I get home. I had to work on the block little by little to get then to it into the aft corners so that the bolts holes lined up. I have the floor panels clecoed in and I drew a line centered on all of the holes that get riveted to the longerons on both sides, one the aft two flap blocks where in stalled I say that the forward hole on the left side was not going to be line up with my center guide line. I really can't see why it does not. This was the last thing I was working on before I had to leave on this trip, so maybe after I get back and look at it more I might find my solution. I am worried that I have something going on in this area.

When fitting the floors I discovered that the lower corner on the left side of the seat back bulk head had a buckle in it (QB not my work) I called Van's and sent them pictures and they said trim the floor to fit, well now I am having this issue with the left side flap block. You can see some pictures of what I am talking about on my weblog, the link is below. I have not taken pictures of the flap block yet. Thanks for all the input.

Cheers

Problem solved

Well it is amazing how a few weeks away from the project can shed some light on things. I was up early, I have been flying back and forth from Europe for the last 3 weeks and that takes it toll on your sleep patterns. I went down to the shop, and withing minutes discovered why the holes in my flap bearing block was not lining up. I did not read the plans correctly and placed the hole 3/8 from the inside of the block instead of the outside. This is enough to make the forward hole have edge distance issues. Oddly the enough the aft holes worked out better being 3/8 from the inside, even with this error the holes were too wide part, if I had but them 3/8 from the outside of the block then they would have been even wider apart. So I will have to make an order from Van's and start the blocks all over again. Thanks for all of the help. I think I will still make the aft holes from the inside, but at least now I will not have edge distance issues with the forward holes.

Cheers

I threw my blocks out today...

...because I know I can make these better.
When the F-445 blocks are stuck onto the ends of the WD-806 you can't put the assembly in place because the back corners of the blocks need to be trimmed to fit. I just measured across the two holes in the floor that the block will be bolted thru, and with the blocks pushed onto the ends of the flap actuator, I just measured and marked where this dimension would fall and drilled the holes there. Perfect! But I put the forward holes to the same width and this resulted in the need to drill the holes thru the floor and a little too close to the edge of F-815. After the 4 holes were drilled into the blocks and the back corners were trimmed to allow the blocks to be set fully back into place, I sighted thru the aft holes with a mirror to see that they lined up with the punched holes in the floor. I then took a bicycle spoke that had been ground on one end to create a very sharp end and tapped the floor thru the front hole to make a mark on the blue plastic film on the floor aluminum to see where the holes would go. I figure these forward holes need to be drilled to the plans even though the aft holes would have been too wide if drilled as suggested. I ordered new blocks and I'll get it right the next time. I'm glad that I didn't actually drill the floor yet.