murphyjr

Any thoughts on where to place the anti-abrasion tape . On the underside of the wing skin ahead of the flap or on the front part of the flap. Thanks , John Murphy , RV-8

Tape

Mine is on the underside of the wing skin. No issues for 5 years and if it has turned yellow nobody can tell. :rolleyes:

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

John is right

Mine is on the underside of the wing skin. No issues for 5 years and if it has turned yellow nobody can tell. :rolleyes:

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

John is right.
I have the same on the 'Borrowed Horse' All good after 3 years.

I have mine under the wing too. Only problem was than some dirt got in there and scuffed the clear coat on the flap. I then bought some way better tape from PM research. I put that on flap itself. It is invisible. I wish I could wrap the whole plane in that stuff to protect my custom paint job!

Toss the stuff!

I put it under the wing skin. After 780+ hours it has turned yellow, become brittle and is starting to look like rhinocerous skin! I tried getting it off with laquer thinner, MEK and anything else I could find in the shop. The tape is off but the adheasive remains. It won't come off! It just sits there and looks ugly! Sure glad I didn't put it on the flaps. If I did it over I would put some of that adheasive backed felt on the underside of the wing skin.

Rock Blocker is the ticket!

Get in touch with Vince Frazier at flyboyaccessories.com and get a couple strips of Rock Blocker tape. Far better stuff than the UHMW tape!

Carry on!
Mark

Anybody try this?

On transport category planes we use teflon paint on the rub areas of flaps and slats. The paint is the same color as the base coat and doesn't show. If you look close it just has less gloss. About the only thing we use tape on is the leading edges of sharp areas such as antennas and winglets.