claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Instead of a momentary up/down actuator (which may or may not have pre-set stops) has anyone done an actual lever with physical detents? Move it to the detent and the flaps go there? Such a lever may take up a bit more room, but wouldn't it give better feedback on where the flaps are without having to look at an indicator?
Clay Cook
VAF #1256
N838CM reserved

Instead of a momentary up/down actuator (which may or may not have pre-set stops) has anyone done an actual lever with physical detents? Move it to the detent and the flaps go there? Such a lever may take up a bit more room, but wouldn't it give better feedback on where the flaps are without having to look at an indicator?
Clay Cook
VAF #1256
N838CM reserved

Have you considered Vans' Flap Positioning System (FPS):

http://tinyurl.com/2nlwnu

Yes, but...

Yes, I'd thought of that, but again, besides remembering how many times I've pushed the lever down or looking at the indicator, there's no way to "Feel" where the flaps are. I'm thinking of a small lever that is actually put into the 10/20/30/"Full Down" or whatever detent, and then physically put back into the "Full Up" detent. Every military or civilian plane I've ever flown had a "detented" actuator, guess I'm just hoping to recreate what I'm familiar with. A momentary down gear actuator switch that didn't actually move to and reflect the "Down" position would seem strange to me for the same reason.
Clay Cook
VAF #1256

I'm with ya...

I too have wondered the same thing. It's nice to move the lever to the detent and then check to make sure the flaps are following.....

I guess that's why we want to build our own planes, you can always make one! ;)

Yes, I'd thought of that, but again, besides remembering how many times I've pushed the lever down or looking at the indicator, there's no way to "Feel" where the flaps are. I'm thinking of a small lever that is actually put into the 10/20/30/"Full Down" or whatever detent, and then physically put back into the "Full Up" detent. Every military or civilian plane I've ever flown had a "detented" actuator, guess I'm just hoping to recreate what I'm familiar with. A momentary down gear actuator switch that didn't actually move to and reflect the "Down" position would seem strange to me for the same reason.
Clay Cook
VAF #1256

I believe you are over-thinking the flaps. :)

Any RVer who has much time with the electric flaps will tell you that flap operation quickly becomes very intuitive and detents, indicators, etc really are unnecessary. Most RV pilots operate the flaps strictly by "feel", but if that isn't sufficient, a quick glance over the shoulder reveals the exact position of the flaps. That ease of use is probably why you have yet to find a flap system for RVs as you described.

Last edited:
If done Cessna style, it'd be a lot of work. I'd say just get used to it, I don't think it'll be a big issue.

Slider control

I'm testing one now that can use momentary closures to move to the next preset or use a 10KOhm slider for variable position. The mechanics on making the detent control are not very difficult but the feedback mechanical position indicator in a 172 would be hard to reproduce.
In the end I bet I will just keep the preset position version. One click per 10deg down and one click full up.