akarmy

Well Known Member
Commiserate with me on this one. Don't need any help as I found all the needed guidance in the archives of those that have come before me.

One tank sealed perfectly using Rick G's practice and methods. The other tank however had a mind of it's own. Yes, not one, not two, but all 5 bays of the tank had leaks on the rear baffle seal. (or lack there of). Once you were over it emotionally, the repair was fairly straight forward. 5" hole saw from harbor freight, 5 fuel tank repair plates from Vans with included pop rivets and I was good to go.

2013-10-26-16.44.59.jpg

Are those covers the same ones used to seal the inboard tanks? In other words, "flat" aluminum sheet. For others going through this process, consider using the wheel covers which are "dish" shaped which will enable the tanks to carry a "little" more fuel when done. This way there is an additional technical benefit (albeit small) other than just sealing the tank. :)

Bevan

Last edited:
Are those covers the same ones used to seal the inboard tanks? In other words, "flat" aluminum sheet. For others going through this process, consider using the wheel covers which are "dish" shaped which will enable the tanks to carry a "little" more fuel when done. This way there is an additional technical benefit (albeit small) other than just sealing the tank. :)

Bevan

:)

Are those covers the same ones used to seal the inboard tanks? In other words, "flat" aluminum sheet.

These are flat like the normal end ones, but have punched holes for rivets at a closer spacing already on them. If ever you wonder about having to cut into the tanks, it was interesting that there were already made prepunched covers in the catalog! Guess this is more of an issue than we all first think.

They also were $7 which was a bit cheaper than the wheel cover option (unless you already have some sitting around like Vald) :)

I've got 4 ea. of these wheel covers in the hangar is someone needs them for a fuel tank repair... sweet option and a tad more fuel. :D

Fuel tank repair

I really would like to know. Why were we all sent those wheel covers in the first place. I'm almost certain I've never seen them on an RV. Tim

... If ever you wonder about having to cut into the tanks, it was interesting that there were already made prepunched covers in the catalog! Guess this is more of an issue than we all first think. ...

Those blank pre-punched covers are (were?) used with the capacitive sender option, as there was no need for the float sender cutouts.;)

looking for a source for the covers depicted in Vlad's post

Hello,

This is an awesome forum. Thank all for your contributions. Thank Doug.

I'm looking for a source of supply for four (4) of the fuel tank covers depicted in the photo on Vlad's post. They are the ones shaped like a hub cap sometimes seen on vehicles.

Can anyone tell me where I can buy those?
How much I might expect to pay?

Is there a fuel tank repair kit available?

It's for an RV8.

Thank you,

Charlie Rogers
Nor-Cal

Hello,

This is an awesome forum. Thank all for your contributions. Thank Doug.

I'm looking for a source of supply for four (4) of the fuel tank covers depicted in the photo on Vlad's post. They are the ones shaped like a hub cap sometimes seen on vehicles.

It's for an RV8.

Thank you,

Charlie Rogers
Nor-Cal

One potential source:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/wheelcovers3.php?clickkey=4744

Hi Mike,

Doing a pre-buy on one.

Plan to keep it in your neighborhood at the spot you recommended. Thank you!

Charlie

The fuel tank repair kit, which has the flat pre-punched covers and closed-end pulled rivets, can be found be searching for "repair" on the Vans Aircraft web site's product order page. You'll see:

COVER AND RIVETS
FUEL TANK REPAIR KIT
$8.10

For the hub cap style, mine were part of the kit, and don't see the on the order site, but I bet Van's support could tell you. I've used one of the tank repair kit covers on mine during this fun process of tank sealing and flop tube installation. Hoping they're all sealed up now (will know in a couple days), but if not I'll need to cut a hole or two and may use the hubcap style ones I have sitting there.

Hi Mike,

Doing a pre-buy on one.

Plan to keep it in your neighborhood at the spot you recommended. Thank you!

Charlie

Hopefully as resident/owner, not hangar renter:D

I may still have a couple of the hubcaps-----will get back to via PM.

Kurt,
Aircraft Spruce. Thank you!

Greg
Did the suggested search. Looks good. Thank you!
Best wishes to you on your pesky leaks.

Mike,
Copy on the PM.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Charlie