rv6builder48138

I'm working on the left wing of my RV-6. When I drilled the outboard aileron bracket to the aileron, I somehow slipped up and it ended up misaligned; the top of it is tilted slightly inboard, enough to make it rub against the wing attach bracket when the aileron is moved. The top hole I drilled in the aileron bracket is about 1/2 of a bolt hole off (i.e., when the bracket is properly aligned, the edge of the hole in the bracket goes through the middle of the corresponding hole in the aileron).

The plans call for two bolts in the bracket. There's enough room to drill a hole in the middle for another bolt, and I presume I can do that. Anyone have any ideas on what to do about the misaligned hole? Is there another solution that isn't coming to mind? John

Which is the problem, the bracket or the aluminum aileron rib?
It's been so long ago that I did this on my RV6, but...
If it's the bracket, just remove the metal bracket and have the hole welded shut, grind it flat and redrill. (Or order a new part.)

Is it possible to drill for a AN4 bolt instead of the AN3 and still have edge clearance? You may be able to adjust it enough, this way. Drill the metal (steel) bracket 1st and then align, clamp and drill through the aluminum. You should be able to get enough adjustment to stop the interference.

Otherwise, new parts may be in order.

Misaligned aileron bracket

sf3543 said:
Which is the problem, the bracket or the aluminum aileron rib?
It's been so long ago that I did this on my RV6, but...
If it's the bracket, just remove the metal bracket and have the hole welded shut, grind it flat and redrill. (Or order a new part.)

Is it possible to drill for a AN4 bolt instead of the AN3 and still have edge clearance? You may be able to adjust it enough, this way. Drill the metal (steel) bracket 1st and then align, clamp and drill through the aluminum. You should be able to get enough adjustment to stop the interference.

Otherwise, new parts may be in order.

It's the flat area at the tip of the aileron that is the problem. The hole in the bracket is in the correct spot, but somehow when I drilled the bracket to the aileron, the top part of the bracket shifted a bit and the hole on the aileron is in the wrong spot.
I'll look at drilling it for an AN4, good idea.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks! John

If you have access, you could enlarge the hole and rivet a nut plate in the correct position.
Or rivet a piece of aluminum onto the back of the aileron piece, fill the hole with JB Weld, redrill and use a longer bolt through both pieces.