UnPossible

Well Known Member
I am getting to the point in my build where having an engine would be handy. I’m hoping to take advantage of any show specials and order an engine at Oshkosh.

One of the engines that has caught my attention is Aerosport Power’s IO-375. I like the idea of a lower compression engine and the increased margins for running with auto fuel. What I’m struggling with a bit is what prop to use with it if I go this way. It looks to me like the Sensenich and the Whirlwind fixed props are recommended for 180hp – where this engine will likely put out somewhere around 195-200hp.

Does anyone know if I can safely run either the fixed pitch Sensenich or Whirlwind with~200hp safely or of any other fixed pitch prop that would work in this application

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
Catto

Hi Jason,
I have a 0-375 with high compression pistons with 205 HP. I ordered a 3 blade Catto in Feb. that should be here in a couple of weeks. I'm about 2 or 3 months from flying my 7A. Craig Catto said that it would be a good match and that he has a lot of props behind this engine. I think mostly super Cubs. I'll let you know how it does in a few months. Has anyone else got one flying with this set-up?
Thanks,
Larry

Numbers

Hi Bill,
I think this may be a guess, but this is what Craig recomended. I also told him I wanted it to turn 2800 at 1000' MSL. Aero Sport said about 7 more HP for each 100 RPM's over 2700. Maybe 212 HP? If it's fast enough I would like to go with Bob Axsom and the other guys racing. I wonder if they will put me in the class with the rockets for being over 360? Craig also said that this engine hits hard and the composite 3 blade would help smooth it out.
See ya,
Larry
N15LW RV9A 900 great hrs. since 2001
N57LW RV7A reserved

3-Bladed Wood/Glass/Carbon Composite Propeller for RV-7A
68" Diameter x 75" Pitch
0-375 205+HP@2700RPM (AeroPowerSport Engine)
Top Speed at Target RPM- 215-220mph@2800RPM
4.375" Finished Propeller Thickness
7" Diameter Prop Flange
SAE-2 Pattern, 1/2" Bolts and 3/4" Lugs
Color: Contact Customer- Crescent Tips

Spinner Kit Vans 13" Customers Vans 13" Spinner kit. Fitting of cutouts, tracking
and drilling of mounting holes.

Parts Saber 2.25" 12 hole deluxe propeller extension. 0-375 to
SAE-2 Catto Propeller. 3/8x7 SAE-2 Crush plate, 3" bolt
set-extension to 375 engine. 6" propeller bolt set.

Racing Class

No, you'd be in RV Gold class with that engine when you come race. Details can be found here.
http://sportairrace.org/

BTW, for all in the Dallas area... we'll have a get together tonight at 9TX2 ahead of tomorrow's race at HQZ (Mesquite).

-Cam