claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Has anyone managed to build some reference or guage into their fuel tanks showing fuel levels for 5, 10, 15 gal, etc? In the "never really trust the fuel guage" frame of mind, I've been wondering how to have a stone-basic set of, for example: aluminum tabs projecting from a tank rib at the correct levels? Maybe a piece of aluminum cut into stair-steps to show the fuel level? How would you know the levels before the tank is finished to set the guage during the build? On the other hand, how could you insert some sort of reference into a finished tank thru the filler neck, get it to the proper position and then fix it there? Pro-seal? Magic?
If no one's thought of this, could someone perhaps post the approximate distance in inches from the bottom of the tank (as read on their broom handle or paint stirrer!) for 5, 10, 15 and 20 gal? I'm doing an -8, so tailwheel down obviously.
Clay "Cookie Monster" Cook
N801CM reserved
working on wings

When I had my Mooney I bought one of those clear plastic fuel dipsticks that Sporty's sells. Did the calibration routine, and it actually worked out very well. In the Mooney the gas caps are outboard and with dihedral you can't measure down to the last 7-9 gallons in each wing. That was pretty much as low as I would let them get anyway. I was alway able to calculate gallons and fuel weight pretty easily. With 4 of us I had to leave some fuel behind, usually 10-14 gallons due to gross weight considerations. I'll most likely buy another when the -7 is flying.

Ditto....

When I had my Mooney I bought one of those clear plastic fuel dipsticks that Sporty's sells. Did the calibration routine, and it actually worked out very well. In the Mooney the gas caps are outboard and with dihedral you can't measure down to the last 7-9 gallons in each wing. That was pretty much as low as I would let them get anyway. I was alway able to calculate gallons and fuel weight pretty easily. With 4 of us I had to leave some fuel behind, usually 10-14 gallons due to gross weight considerations. I'll most likely buy another when the -7 is flying.

Ditto with my Grumman... these clear tubes do well when calibrated...

fuel-hawk-calibrated.JPG

gil A

fuel level tab

I riveted and prosealed a small tab to the inside of the end rib at about the mid point, visible from the filling hole. Did both sides exactly the same. This will be a ref mark only but still should be useful as it will obviously never move. I think it will indicate slightly more than 1/2. The theory is I don't want to take off with less than 1/2 tanks, so if the tab is covered by fuel, it's good to go. Full is easy to see, no visible fuel means low to none. At the tab means 1/2. Dipping is better but this tab weighs nothing and will never get lost. Anyone else lose their dip stick while away from home base?

Bevan
RV7A not flying yet

Fixed dip stick

Clay,
I have a 6A and did install a fixed dip stick on both tanks. I used a 1 inch piece of Alum. cut 4 notches equally spaced and rivited it to the tank stiffener on the bottom and the fuel tank filler neck on the top. I checked it on the first fill up at the fuel tank. 5 gal is at the top of the tank stiffner, 10 gal is at the first notch and it goes odd numbers from there.

It is not going anywhere and I can tell how much fuel I have on board every time I remove the filler cap. Nothing to loose and nothing to keep up with!

Go for it, it was the best thing I did on the fuel system. I never rely on the fuel gages.

I riveted a tab to the inside rib, visible from the filler. I will calibrate it when I first put fuel in the tank.