b432291

I don't know if has been covered before, but I just solved a problem with audio noise on my Sony Action Camera (HDR-AS10). This camera is like a GoPro, but can take external stereo audio, but unfortunately has a small battery. I hooked up ship's audio and USB power and went flying. A example of the noise can be heard on the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9KTi1U6mso
It turned out to be a ground loop, which I solved via a 12V to 12V converter (JTK 1524S12, ~$35 from DigiKey) and some RadioShack parts to make it power the USB power thingy. I originally tried a audio ground isolator, but the Sony didn't buy that and there was no audio at all. Anyway these converters can be bought in many voltage and wattage configurations, and truly isolate the power. See following vid for the results:
http://youtu.be/7ueNsvUPN6k
BTW I just bought the DC Pro-X (active version) headset, and while it may may not be super-duper quiet, it's pretty darn quiet AND super comfortable. With a price of $639, I think DC will have a winner on their hands. Oh, it's all metal construction (magnesium), so no broken plastic after a few years in the sun.

I have a ground loop problem with my Garmin 396. Want to make sure I understand what you did -- The device you used is a 12V to 12V DC "converter", which you are using to "convert" to the same voltage but acts like an isolator/filter? I've used the filters that go in-line on the audio feed wires, but sounds like you're cleaning up the actual ground loop on the power side?

Hmmm...

I have a Sony Action Camera too. I searched the archive for posts, didn't see any others.
I've used mine on a tall Ram extension, 1" ball mount and clamp to the RV-8 grab bar. It looks over my right shoulder so I can see the panel and a good fight perspective.
I used it to review how my turbocharged Mazda Rotary engine performed, but it's been especially useful when reviewing landings, I feel I'm a better pilot for it.
I've been using it in the supplied underwater case. I got an open frame case, but the cam rattles around in it and makes a rubbery picture.
You just challenged me to hook up the cockpit audio, so I'll be working with the open frame mount again to access the plugs on the bottom.
The small slender form factor of the Sony Action Camera is a major plus, and the reason I gave it a try.
Maybe I'll mount it on the right side of my headset...

Great audio tips and video!

I like the video.....interesting sound isssues; I too have the Sony cam, but haven't used it much in the plane....just used it to record ground skool this weekend though.
Great to have the big bubble canopy when you're trying to spot traffic eh?

Ted, curious about your canopy latch? Most seem to be straight fore & aft when latched. Just caught my eye.

the headset looks nice too!...definitely more headroom then the old one!

really, like the cars that have dashcams, we should really record every flight; it's a great learning tool ( you guys have nice controllers there too!)

Greg, The DC/DC converter is meant to be mounted on a circuit board, and is really for a EE person. It has +12V/Ground Input Pins, and 12V/Ground Output Pins. I am not a EE, but the data sheet looked to me like the grounds were totally separate. Note that the $35 unit was only good for 15W, these modules get very expensive as the watts go up, but 15W is plenty for a USB charger application.

Scott, I never liked or used the clear case. What I did was buy (at Walmart) the superduty 3M Attach strips that are kinda like velcro, but use rows of little plastic pins that interlock for a much more secure hold. One strip of that covers the side of the cam that is not the LCD screen, I have a custom mount with another strip that the cam attaches to. I did try attaching to headset, but that will make you sick watching it.

Perry, Actually the Lindbergh (San Diego) controller was just surprised to have a Experimental in the Class B, but even though its expen$ive to land there, you can come out ahead in money and time if you are staying nearby, as the FBO will shuttle you for tip money.

Last edited:
I have a ground loop problem with my Garmin 396. Want to make sure I understand what you did -- The device you used is a 12V to 12V DC "converter", which you are using to "convert" to the same voltage but acts like an isolator/filter? I've used the filters that go in-line on the audio feed wires, but sounds like you're cleaning up the actual ground loop on the power side?

Hmmm...

If you are hearing similar noises from your 396, it may be because the Garmin cable runs unshielded audio wires next to serial data wires. The fix for this is:
1) shorten the Garmin cable as much as practical.
2) terminate the L & R audio outputs to audio (quiet) ground with 10 ohm resistors.
3) make sure the 396 is grounded to the single point avionics ground or audio ground.

By lowering the impedance of the audio wires, they become much less susceptible to interference. This should do the trick.

It also works for the Aera.