Ron Lee

Well Known Member
On my way home from Toledo Sunday my first (of three) fuel stops was at Kankakee IL. As I leveled out at pattern altitude I glanced at the airspeed indicator at it was at zero. I looked again to make sure that I was seeing it right and yes, it was zero.

I pondered what might be happening. This is a old style 6-pack airspeed indicator. There was a lot of rain while it sat outside. Some of that got into the airplane somehow. But I hangared it the night before to keep the oil temp up.

Did water somehow get in the system and freeze or into the instrument?

I did not know so I did two things. One was make a mental note of the ground winds so that I could use the GPS ground speed as an aid for airspeed and I changed the runway from the short one to the long one.

I just came in a bit faster than normal in case the seat of my pants were off that day and bled off excess airspeed in the flare over the runway. No problem.

When I got on the ground I found the pitot tube (aluminum tube) bent back about 70 degrees. I made a viable field repair using aircraft grade duct tape and coffee stirrers for additional rigidity and it worked just fine until I returned home.

Once home, I made a permanent repair and a spare pitot tube that is now in my on board tool box.

I suspect that the occasional bumping of the pitot tube by my dog and subsequent straightening caused a fatigue that finally manifested itself on this flight.

Field repair assessment: The aircraft grade duct tape was probably fine but the coffee stirrers lacked adequate rigidity. Splintered popsicle sticks (aircraft grade of course) would have been better.

Last edited:
Ron, nice work here. Deductive reasoning always pays off in difficult situations. :)
Another reason I'm installing an AOA.
Steve