tomhanaway

Well Known Member
Installing the washers on the bolt that links the two rv-10 elevator horns together. Searched the forums on "washer".
I'm looking for a way to hold the washers in place (while installing the bolt) in the narrow area between horn and the HZ hinge assembly.

Best thing I've seen so far is the Avery Tools "washer wrench" but I wouldn't have it this weekend and it costs $40.

Any other suggestions or is the "washer wrench" really the best thing since sliced bread?

Thanks,
Tom Hanaway
Boynton Beach, FL
finishing empennage kit

Thin pieces of tape on the end of a screwdriver or thin piece of metal sometimes works. Light adhesives or sticky clay also works. The washer wrenches really do work well, though. I have the set. In desparation, You can come up with some very creative solutions.

Good luck,

Roberta

I used some small string, pass the string through the horn,slide on your washers, rod end, washers etc. then run the string through the other horn. Pull the string up tight and it will all pop in place. Take your 1/8 or 3/32 punch and slip it thought the hole, remove the string, then slide the bolt from the opposite side with a little wiggling it will run right through all the holes. Worked great on the aileron hinges too.

Rick S. said:
I used some small string, pass the string through the horn,slide on your washers, rod end, washers etc. then run the string through the other horn. Pull the string up tight and it will all pop in place. Take your 1/8 or 3/32 punch and slip it thought the hole, remove the string, then slide the bolt from the opposite side with a little wiggling it will run right through all the holes. Worked great on the aileron hinges too.

I really like that solution---

Once again, I must say thanks to Doug for this forum.

Mike

Thanks to all for ideas. I'm going to try Rick's string idea tonight.
By the way, Yardstore has the wrench set for $29.95 so I went ahead and ordered a set.

Onwards and upwards,
Tom Hanaway

Dental floss worked great. Used punches to align washers once generally in place.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Washer Wrench

Really like the string idea. but, I just made some wrenches out of popcycle sticks. Just notch the end the width of the washer.

Used the String and Pin Punch Method on my RV-7a

Thanks for the tip. I used the string and pin punch method on my RV-7a elevator horn washer install. Works great, really easy to do!

I also drew a basic illustration to show the general idea of how this works. Please excuse the rudimentary drawing, I'm not an artist.

y1p110JsQz9CfQ8mYx8Qt0Ezz21HCFsyRSESrihz2upmbCUbRyEaK1Enf8kLZrEsYmNDSapzONq7q98jVbgvtl-Sg

I just went through this on my RV-8. The first attempt was an exercise in frustration, so I stopped. I woke up in the middle of the night with the answer:

Before putting the elevators on, stick the bolt through the elevator horn on the first elevator, and put the washers on the bolt. Slip the bolt into the centre bearing, and then slip the other bearings in place and put their bolts in. Now, slip the washers for the other side onto the end of the centre bolt that is sticking out past the centre bearing. Grab the second elevator, and slip the hole in the elevator horn over the end of the centre bolt, then slip the other hinges in place and put their bolts in.

I did this a couple of days ago, and it worked very well.